Converting Analog Signals to Digital: A 2-bit A/D System

In summary, the A/D system with 2 bits would assign the digital words a through j as follows: a=00 b=01 c=11 d=10 e=01
Beeorz
Obtain the digital words corresponding to the indicated analog signal levels, a through j, as shown in Figure P8.38, that would be assigned by an A/D system with 2 bits.

http://img256.imageshack.us/f/eehmrw1.png/

a. None of the above
b. a=11, b=01,c=10,d=01, and e=01
c. a=11,b=10,c=01,d=01, and e=10
d. a=00,b=10,c=01,d=10, and e=10

I understand what the position and weight of the digit imply but for some reason no matter how I look at this problem I cannot seem to make sense of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose it depends upon what the rules you're using for digitization are, but given that two bits can only result in four distinct digital signal levels, and given that the original analog signal levels range between 0 and 15, it would seem to make sense to divide that range into four intervals -- everything in the lowest interval gets assigned 00, et cetera.

Okay, that makes sense.

Now if I was using signal levels a through e only:

~The range would be from 0 to 10 and have 4 zones.
~Thus 10/4 = 2.5

~00 is 0-2.5
~01 is 2.5-5
~10 is 5-7.5
~11 is 7.5-10

If that is all correct then the answer would indeed be A because:

a=00
b=01
c=11
d=10
e=01

1. What is the purpose of digitizing analog signals?

The purpose of digitizing analog signals is to convert continuously varying analog signals into digital signals that can be processed, stored, and transmitted more efficiently.

2. How is an analog signal digitized?

An analog signal is digitized by taking samples of the signal at regular intervals and converting each sample into a binary number using an analog-to-digital converter (ADC). The resulting binary sequence is then used to reconstruct the original analog signal.

3. What are the advantages of digitizing analog signals?

The main advantages of digitizing analog signals include improved accuracy, reduced noise and distortion, and the ability to process and manipulate the signal using digital signal processing techniques. Digital signals are also more resilient to interference and can be easily transmitted over long distances without losing quality.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of digitizing analog signals?

The main drawbacks of digitizing analog signals include the loss of information during the sampling process, the need for high sampling rates to accurately capture the signal, and the increased complexity and cost of equipment required for digitization and signal processing.

5. What are some common applications of digitizing analog signals?

Digitizing analog signals is used in a wide range of applications, including telecommunications, data storage, audio and video processing, medical imaging, and industrial control systems. It is also a fundamental process in modern digital technologies, such as computers, smartphones, and digital cameras.