Can YOU Beat My Record for Memorizing Digits of Pi?

In summary, Pi is an infinite number that has been memorized by many people to a certain number of decimal places. The challenge is to see how many digits one can remember, with some people having memorized over 1500 digits. Memorizing pi can improve memory and is often seen as a mental exercise. However, some argue that it is not a practical skill to have in modern times with the availability of calculators. The current record for reciting the most digits of pi is 67,890, held by a graduate student from China. While there are rankings for pi memorization, there is no official age category recognized by Guinness World Records.
Vincit
Pi. An infinite number. INFINITE. People have been memorizing the digits of pi to a certain number of decimal places. A challenge for you: how many can YOU remember?

I hold the world age record(i actually don't, because i haven't told anyone except my friends about it) for memorizing 1500 digits. I did that about a year ago(when i was 13) and I've forgotten about 100 of those numbers. The numbers are literally stuck in my head. It's a great way to increase your memory and keep it at work.

Good Luck~

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that I live near the beach (San Diego), the fact that it's sunny outside, and the fact that I feel I have some semblance of a life (socially and otherwise), prevents me from doing this.

I am socially active. But this is easier than you think, and it's just an exercise for my spare time. So acquiesce to this, and don't give your opinion. I'm not asking for it.

Why bother memorizing [itex]\pi[/itex] to thousands of decimal places? You'll rarely need more than 2 or 3 decimal places for everyday calculations.

3.14159.....is about all I care to know.

jgens said:
Why bother memorizing [itex]\pi[/itex] to thousands of decimal places? You'll rarely need more than 2 or 3 decimal places for everyday calculations.

It can train your memory and improve it by a great deal.

Vincit said:
It can train your memory and improve it by a great deal.

Sure, assuming that it actually does improve your memory, why not improve your memory by memorizing something that you'll actually use?

I think Chuck Norris holds the record.

I can only remember the first digit, 2.

Vincit said:
I hold the world age record(i actually don't, because i haven't told anyone except my friends about it) for memorizing 1500 digits. I did that about a year ago(when i was 13) and I've forgotten about 100 of those numbers. The numbers are literally stuck in my head. It's a great way to increase your memory and keep it at work.

This is a spurious claim, as either you can only include people who have been tested for the record, or you have to include everyone in the world. If you include everyone in the world, you have no evidence that you knew more digits than anyone else at the age of 13

22/7

If you're European or American, why would you want to memorize any digits of pi. Your slide rules have a special mark (at around 3.14, actually), so there's no reason to memorize pi at all.

I think memorizing pi is mostly an Asian thing, since slide rules designed for Asian markets seldom included a special mark for pi (except, ironically, at the end of the folded scales which enable one to multiply by pi simply by changing from one scale to another without any need to reference the actual value at all).

Maybe memorizing pi was a holdover from using an abacus, which obviously had no easy way to incorporate constants into the design.

And, of course, nowadays pi is just a button on a calculator.

One should still know at least the first 3 digits of pi. Beyond 3 digits, one would probably gain more value by memorizing the value of many constants to a few digits than one constant to many digits (Avagadro's number, e, electron charge, Boltzman constant and/or ideal gas constant, speed of light, permeability and permittivity of free space, Planck's constant, Angelina Jolie's phone number, etc)

BobG said:
Your slide rules have a special mark (at around 3.14, actually), so there's no reason to memorize pi at all.

I'll have to check out my slide rule. I don't think it has this... but it's a mini-circular model.

BobG said:
One should still know at least the first 3 digits of pi. Beyond 3 digits, one would probably gain more value by memorizing the value of many constants to a few digits than one constant to many digits (Avagadro's number, e, electron charge, Boltzman constant and/or ideal gas constant, speed of light, permeability and permittivity of free space, Planck's constant, Angelina Jolie's phone number, etc)

:rofl:

I personally am really thinking more about eating pie these days rather than anything to do with pi. Guess maternity leave will do that to ya.

Office_Shredder said:
This is a spurious claim, as either you can only include people who have been tested for the record, or you have to include everyone in the world. If you include everyone in the world, you have no evidence that you knew more digits than anyone else at the age of 13

I'm just including people that have been tested and are in the Pi World Ranking List.
www.pi-world-ranking-list.com
If i was tested for it, i would be the world age record holder. Who knows... maybe i will.

Vincit said:
I hold the world age record(i actually don't, because i haven't told anyone except my friends about it) for memorizing 1500 digits. I did that about a year ago(when i was 13) and I've forgotten about 100 of those numbers.

Actually, the Guinness World Record recognized for remembered digits is 67,890. But Guinness does not keep by age records.

From Wikipedia
Wikipedia said:
The Guinness-recognized record for remembered digits of pi is 67,890 digits, held by Lu Chao, a 24-year-old graduate student from China. It took him 24 hours and 4 minutes to recite to the 67,890th decimal place of pi without an error.

Your link
Vincit said:
http://www.pi-world-ranking-list.com/[/quote]
Does not provide age rankings as I could see.

Your self proclaimed world record is not. Keep practicing though. A friend and I in HS challenged each other at this (that was many moons ago), we were not as successful as Lu Chao, but better then the average person. Just like any muscle or skill, practice does improved memory, and I believe my memory is better of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Insanity said:
Actually, the Guinness World Record recognized for remembered digits is 67,890. But Guinness does not keep by age records.

From Wikipedia

Your link
Does not provide age rankings as I could see.

Your self proclaimed world record is not. Keep practicing though. A friend and I in HS challenged each other at this (that was many moons ago), we were not as successful as Lu Chao, but better then the average person. Just like any muscle or skill, practice does improved memory, and I believe my memory is better of it.

There are not world age rankings on that site in plain sight. But if you actually checked, the highest record for anyone under 15 is 930. WR from GB. I'm 14.

I'll be honest. In 8th grade, for extra credit in my math class and to get me from a B+ to an A-, I memorized my teachers wall of Pi, which was upto the 75th digit.

Now, 10 years later, I can't remember when my work meetings and my other appointments are, but I can still remember pi.

I don't think it improves memory as much as it supplants important other memories with its inane and useless self.

What is the "Digits of Pi - A challenge"?

The "Digits of Pi - A challenge" is a popular mathematical challenge where individuals try to memorize or recite the digits of the mathematical constant pi (π) to as many decimal places as possible.

Why is it called the "Digits of Pi - A challenge"?

The challenge is named after the mathematical constant pi (π) which represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. Pi is an irrational number, meaning it has an infinite number of digits after the decimal point, making it a difficult and popular challenge to memorize and recite its digits.

What is the current record for the most digits of pi memorized?

The current record for the most digits of pi memorized is held by Rajveer Meena from India, who recited 70,000 digits of pi in 9 hours and 27 minutes in 2015.

Is there a limit to the number of digits of pi that can be memorized?

Technically, there is no limit to the number of digits of pi that can be memorized. However, due to the sheer length of pi and the limitations of human memory, it is not possible for a person to memorize an infinite number of digits.

Are there any practical applications for memorizing the digits of pi?

While there are no practical applications for memorizing the digits of pi, the challenge can improve memory and concentration skills. Additionally, it can serve as a fun and entertaining activity for mathematics enthusiasts.