Dihedral Group on a square

In summary, the group of symmetries of a square has 6 orbits on the set of colourings of its edges using the colours red or blue. Each orbit represents a category of colourings that are mapped only onto themselves by the symmetries in the group. The size of X is 16, as there are 4 sides with 2 colour choices each. To find a representative for each orbit, you can draw out all the possible colourings and group them based on their properties that are not affected by the symmetry operations.
Ted123

Homework Statement

Let [itex]G=D_4[/itex] (the group of symmetries (reflections/rotations) of a square) and let [tex]X=\{ \text{colourings of the edges of a square using the colours red or blue} \}[/tex] so a typical element of X is:
fyg7b4.jpg

What is the size of [itex]X[/itex]?

Let [itex]G[/itex] act on X in the obvious way. You are given that [itex]G[/itex] has 6 orbits on X. Find a representative for each [itex]G[/itex]-orbit, and its size.

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously there are going to be various ways of colouring the edges of a square, but how can I be sure that I have them all or is there a quicker way to find the size?

How do I find a representative for each G-orbit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Size of X: Each side has a choice of two colours, and there are 4 sides.

Orbits of G - Some properties of X will not be affected by the symmetry operations. This will naturally lead to separate orbits.

Joffan said:
Size of X: Each side has a choice of two colours, and there are 4 sides.

Orbits of G - Some properties of X will not be affected by the symmetry operations. This will naturally lead to separate orbits.

The definition of orbit is [tex]\text{orb}_G(x)= \{ gx : g\in G \}[/tex]
Saying that G has 6 orbits on X: does this mean there are 6 [itex]x[/itex]'s?

So by saying 'find a representative' does it mean find 6 different [itex]x[/itex]'s?

It means (as I read it) there are six categories of [itex]x[/itex] that will be mapped only onto their own category by the symmetries in G.

For example: The [itex]x[/itex] that consists of all blue edges will be mapped to itself by any G. It is an orbit of size one.

Joffan said:
It means (as I read it) there are six categories of [itex]x[/itex] that will be mapped only onto their own category by the symmetries in G.

For example: The [itex]x[/itex] that consists of all blue edges will be mapped to itself by any G. It is an orbit of size one.

Is the size of X 16?

That's what I get. It's a conveniently small-enough number that you can actually draw them all out, too, if you need to.

Last edited:

1. What is a Dihedral Group on a square?

A Dihedral Group on a square is a mathematical concept that represents the symmetries of a square. It is denoted as D4 and has a total of 8 elements.

2. What are the elements of a Dihedral Group on a square?

The elements of a Dihedral Group on a square are rotations and reflections. There are 4 rotations (0°, 90°, 180°, 270°) and 4 reflections (vertical, horizontal, and two diagonal reflections).

3. How is the Dihedral Group on a square represented?

The Dihedral Group on a square can be represented using a Cayley table, which shows the multiplication table for the group's elements. It can also be represented using a geometric diagram that shows the symmetries of a square.

4. What are the properties of a Dihedral Group on a square?

The Dihedral Group on a square is non-abelian, meaning that the order of multiplication matters. It is also non-cyclic, meaning that it does not have a single element that can generate the entire group. Additionally, it is a finite group with 8 elements.

5. How is the Dihedral Group on a square used in real life?

The Dihedral Group on a square has applications in many areas, such as crystallography, computer graphics, and robotics. It is also used in puzzles and games, such as Rubik's cube and jigsaw puzzles, to represent the possible symmetries and transformations.