Calculating Volume of Air for Nitrogen Dioxide Dillution

• Thread starter synergix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the given reaction between nitrogen dioxide and water produces acid rain and the volume of air at 1 atm and 20oC needed to dilute the resulting HNO3 gas to 0.050 ppm by volume is 5.9 x 10^9 L, assuming constant temperature and pressure. This is calculated using the ideal gas law equation, V=nRT/P, where n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, T is the temperature, and P is the pressure.
synergix

Homework Statement

Nitrogen dioxide reacts with water in the atmosphere to produce acid rain.
4N02(g)+2H20(g)+O2(g)------> 4HNO3(g)
assuming that the temperature and the pressure remain constant, calculate the volume of air at 1 atm, 20oC, necessary to dilute the HNO3(g) to 0.050 ppm(by volume) when 560.g of NO2(g) is allowed to react.

Homework Equations

V=nRT/P where n=number of moles, R=ideal gas constant, T=temperature, P= pressure

The Attempt at a Solution

First calculate the volume of HNO3 gas that will be produced. then using the equation a/b=c/d
I calculated the volume required to dilute

.050L/1,000,000L = 292.808L / V

solve for V and I got 5.9 x 10^9 L

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK.

of air

I would like to clarify that the volume of air required to dilute the HNO3 gas to 0.050 ppm is not 5.9 x 10^9 L. This is a very large volume and is not a practical or realistic answer.

To calculate the volume of air required, we need to first calculate the number of moles of HNO3 produced. From the given reaction, we can see that for every 4 moles of NO2, 4 moles of HNO3 are produced. Therefore, the number of moles of HNO3 produced is equal to the number of moles of NO2 given (560 g) divided by the molar mass of NO2 (46.0055 g/mol), which is equal to 12.170 moles.

Next, we can use the ideal gas equation, V=nRT/P, to calculate the volume of air required. We know that the temperature is 20°C, which is equal to 293.15 K, and the pressure is 1 atm. The ideal gas constant, R, is 0.08206 L∙atm/mol∙K. Plugging in these values, we get:

V = (12.170 mol)(0.08206 L∙atm/mol∙K)(293.15 K)/1 atm

V = 297.9 L

Therefore, the volume of air required to dilute the HNO3 gas to 0.050 ppm is 297.9 L. This is a much more reasonable and realistic answer. It is important to be careful with unit conversions and to always check your calculations to ensure that the answer makes sense in the given context.

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of air for nitrogen dioxide dilution?

The formula for calculating the volume of air for nitrogen dioxide dilution is (Initial concentration of NO2 x Initial volume of air) / Final concentration of NO2.

2. How do I determine the initial concentration of NO2?

The initial concentration of NO2 can be determined by using a gas detector or by taking air samples and analyzing them in a laboratory.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the volume of air for nitrogen dioxide dilution?

The purpose of calculating the volume of air for nitrogen dioxide dilution is to determine the amount of additional air that needs to be introduced in order to dilute a high concentration of NO2 to a safe level. This is important for maintaining air quality and ensuring the safety of individuals in the area.

4. How do I choose the appropriate units for the initial and final concentrations?

The appropriate units for the initial and final concentrations should be consistent with each other. For example, if the initial concentration is measured in parts per million (ppm), then the final concentration should also be in ppm.

5. Can I use this formula for any gas besides nitrogen dioxide?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating the volume of air for nitrogen dioxide dilution. Each gas has its own unique formula for dilution calculations.