Diluting Solution: How to Achieve 1:10 Ratio with 7ml Ethanol and 3.2gm Leaf

• Thread starter rovaniemi
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has added 7ml of ethanol to 3.2gm of leaf and needs to dilute the solution to a 1:10 ratio. They ask for help on how to do this, and another person suggests adding 10 times the solvent. However, it is corrected that adding 10 volumes of solvent would dilute the solution 11 times, so the correct ratio would be adding 9 times the solvent.
rovaniemi
Hi all,

I have a problem than I need to figure out.

I have added 7ml ethanol to 3.2 gm leaf(any leaf)

I have been told to dilute the solution to 1:10 ratio. How to do it?

Could you all please help me?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Now you have a solution right? To dilute the solution 10 times, add 10 times the solvent to it...

Abhilash H N said:
Now you have a solution right? To dilute the solution 10 times, add 10 times the solvent to it...

Close, but wrong. Adding 10 volumes of solvent would dilute the solution 11 times.

Likes 1 person
Borek said:
Close, but wrong. Adding 10 volumes of solvent would dilute the solution 11 times.

So I believe we have to add 9 times the solvent, sorry for that mistake...

I would recommend the following steps to achieve a 1:10 ratio with 7ml ethanol and 3.2gm leaf:

1. Determine the desired volume of the final solution. For example, if you want a total of 10ml, then you will need to add 3ml of additional solvent (water or ethanol) to the 7ml of ethanol already present.

2. Calculate the dilution factor by dividing the total volume of the final solution by the volume of the original solution. In this case, the dilution factor would be 10/7= 1.43.

3. Measure out 3.2gm of leaf and place it in a clean container.

4. Add 7ml of ethanol to the container containing the leaf.

5. Mix the solution thoroughly to ensure the leaf is fully immersed in the ethanol.

6. Using a pipette or graduated cylinder, add the desired volume of additional solvent (in this case, 3ml) to the container.

7. Mix the solution again to ensure uniform distribution of the solvent.

8. The final solution now has a 1:10 ratio of 7ml ethanol to 3ml additional solvent, resulting in a total volume of 10ml.

It is important to note that the dilution factor may vary depending on the desired final volume and the volume of the original solution. It is always recommended to double-check your calculations and measurements to ensure accuracy in your dilution process. I hope this helps in achieving your desired 1:10 ratio.

1. What is a diluting solution?

A diluting solution is a liquid mixture created by combining a smaller amount of a concentrated substance with a larger amount of a solvent. This results in a weaker concentration of the original substance.

2. What is a 1:10 ratio?

A 1:10 ratio refers to the proportion of the original substance to the solvent in a diluting solution. In this case, it means that for every 1 part of ethanol (the original substance), there should be 10 parts of the solvent (leaf solution).

3. How do you achieve a 1:10 ratio with 7ml ethanol and 3.2gm leaf?

To achieve a 1:10 ratio with 7ml ethanol and 3.2gm leaf, you will need to mix 7ml of ethanol with 70ml of the leaf solution. This will result in a diluting solution with a 1:10 ratio of ethanol to the leaf solution.

4. Can I use any type of solvent for a diluting solution?

No, it is important to choose a solvent that is compatible with the original substance and will not react with it. In this case, the leaf solution is a suitable solvent for ethanol.

5. Why is it important to use a diluting solution?

A diluting solution is used to create a weaker concentration of a substance, which may be necessary for various reasons. It can also make it easier to measure and handle the substance, as well as reduce the risk of potential harm or damage from using a concentrated solution.