Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diluting the stock solution with ethanol

1. Feb 12, 2005 #1
    I think the idea is you are diluting the stock solution with ethanol...how do I calculate how much the concentration is in the solution X and Y?

ignore those lines...I had to use those to line the data up.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the definition of the concentration ? And what does the first line tell you ? And how do you think the dilution factor is defined ?

You ought to show some effort before asking for help, physicsss.

4. Feb 12, 2005 #3
    All I'm given is that V1C1=V2C2..., but the volume adds up to 3.0mL. I don't know what the dilution factor means.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  5. Feb 12, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you write down the question EXACTLY as it appears in your homework/text ?

6. Feb 13, 2005 #5
    This is all I'm given. I'm diluting the stock solution with EtOH. And I'm to"complete the missing entries given the table below:"
    http://www.geocities.com/sinceury/untitled.JPG

7. Feb 13, 2005 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, that's fine.

Notice that by the definition of dilution factor (volume of stock / total volume), the numbers in the first two colums are consistent with the numbers in the third column.

Example : (row 2) DF = 2.5/(2.5 + 0.5) = 2.5/3 = 1/1.2
    In this manner you can calculate the DF for other rows.

The first row tells you the concentration of sunscreen in the stock (.0898 g/mL). Knowing how much sunscreen there is in 1 mL, you can then find out how much there will be in 2.5 mL, 2 mL, 1.5 mL, etc. (the volumes of the different stock solutions). Dividing these weights by the total volume gives you the concentration for each case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?