Dilution and gravimetric problems

• Thread starter redXI
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dilution
In summary, the conversation discusses various chemistry problems and concepts related to dilutions, mixing, gravimetric analysis, and limiting reagents calculations. The specific question referenced is about determining the concentration of a mixture of calcium nitrate solutions. The conversation also mentions the importance of using distilled water in gravimetric analysis of chlorides and the potential impact of using regular drinking water. Finally, the conversation touches on a difficult question about calculating the mass of a precipitate in a reaction between calcium chloride and silver nitrate.
redXI
I am now studying on my test and I came upon one question which I can't answer but I still remember that the answer is 1.09 M. Yeah, I have a bad memory... So, here goes:

A 46.2-mL, o.568 M calcium Nitrate [Ca(NO3)2] solution i smixed with 80.5 mL of 1.396 M calcium nitrate solution. What is the concentration?

Is it true that according to my teacher that we must use distilled water in the gravimetric analysis of chlorides?? Why is it so? Isn't it just the same if we use regular drinking water?

And yesterday, I have to answer this super tough question is the school and I got zero since I am not really good in chemistry and I'm a bit too shy to ask anything...This is the question:

If 30.0 mL of 0.150 M CaCl2 is added to 15.0 mL of 0.100 M AgNO3, what is the mass in grams of AgCl precipitate?

Thanks so much for helping me.:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
redXI said:
A 46.2-mL, o.568 M calcium Nitrate [Ca(NO3)2] solution i smixed with 80.5 mL of 1.396 M calcium nitrate solution. What is the concentration?

dilutions and mixing calculations

Is it true that according to my teacher that we must use distilled water in the gravimetric analysis of chlorides?? Why is it so? Isn't it just the same if we use regular drinking water?

What if the drinking water contains chlorides on its own?

If 30.0 mL of 0.150 M CaCl2 is added to 15.0 mL of 0.100 M AgNO3, what is the mass in grams of AgCl precipitate?

limiting reagents calculations

I understand that dilution and gravimetric problems can be challenging, but I am glad to see that you are actively studying and trying to find the answers. In the first question, you are correct that the answer is 1.09 M. This can be calculated by using the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 and V1 represent the initial concentration and volume, and C2 and V2 represent the final concentration and volume after mixing.

In regards to your teacher's instruction to use distilled water in gravimetric analysis of chlorides, it is important to use distilled water because it is free from impurities that could interfere with the analysis. Regular drinking water may contain minerals or other substances that could affect the results. Therefore, it is important to use distilled water in order to obtain accurate and reliable results in gravimetric analysis.

I am sorry to hear that you struggled with a tough question in class. In order to calculate the mass of AgCl precipitate, we can use the formula M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 and V1 represent the initial molarity and volume of CaCl2, and M2 and V2 represent the final molarity and volume of AgNO3 after the reaction. From there, we can use the molar ratio between CaCl2 and AgCl (1:1) to calculate the moles of AgCl formed, and then convert to grams using the molar mass of AgCl.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Remember, it is always better to ask for clarification and understanding rather than staying silent and struggling. Keep up the hard work and I am sure you will excel in chemistry.

1. What is dilution and why is it important in scientific experiments?

Dilution is the process of reducing the concentration of a solution by adding more solvent. It is important in scientific experiments because it allows for more accurate measurements and reduces the risk of errors due to high concentrations.

2. How do you calculate dilution factor?

Dilution factor is calculated by dividing the final volume of the diluted solution by the initial volume of the concentrated solution. For example, if you mix 10 mL of a concentrated solution with 90 mL of solvent, the dilution factor would be 100.

3. What is gravimetric analysis and why is it used?

Gravimetric analysis is a quantitative analytical technique that involves measuring the mass of a substance to determine its concentration. It is used because it is highly accurate and precise, making it suitable for determining the purity of a substance.

4. How do you perform a gravimetric analysis?

To perform a gravimetric analysis, you need to first dissolve a known mass of the substance in a solvent. Then, you need to add a precipitating agent to cause the substance to form a solid. The solid is then collected, dried, and weighed to determine its mass, which can be used to calculate the concentration of the substance.

5. What are some common sources of error in dilution and gravimetric problems?

Some common sources of error in dilution and gravimetric problems include inaccurate measurements, contamination of solutions, and incomplete reactions. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and use precise measurement tools to minimize these errors.