What is the molarity of the HCl solution? Help Solving Dilution & Moles Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to dilution and chemical reactions. In the first problem, the individual is trying to calculate the volume of 0.500 M NaOH needed to prepare 500 mL of 0.250 M NaOH. They use the dilution relationship and their work suggests the answer is 0.25 L, but they are unsure if it is correct and ask for guidance. In the second problem, the individual is given the volume and molarity of a NaOH solution that reacts with HCl solution in a balanced chemical reaction. They mention the missing molarity of HCl and ask for help in finding the volume of the products.
chmdummy1982
I have two problems that I have trouble with. One I attempted, but I don't think I came up with the right formula. Any help would be appreciated!

Problem one

Use the dilution relationship (Mi x Vi = Mf x Vf) to calculate the volume of 0.500 M NaOH needed to prepare 500 mL of .250 M NaOH.

This is my work

? L Solution = 500mL x (1L/1000mL) = .500L

? mol NaOH = .500 L Solution x (0.250 M NaOH/1 L Solution) = .125 mol NaOH

? L solution = .125 mol NaOH x (1L Solution/.500 mol NaOH) = .25

The problem then asks me to round my answer to the nearest ones place, so i have a feeling this equation has an error. Can anyone guide me to getting it right? Thanks!

Problem 2
49.22 ml of a 2.01 M naOH solution reacts completely with 40.28 mL of HCl solution according to the blanaced chemical reaction shown below:

HCl (aq) + NaOH(aq) -> NaCl(aq) + H2O(I)

Physics news on Phys.org
Reminder: M means moles per liter, or moles per 1000 milliliters.
Your initial volume is "unknown" and your final volume is expected to be 500 ml.
In symbols as MILLILITERS, Vf=Vi+Vu, where Vu is unknown volume to add.

Simply substitute the values given and use simple algebra, but first keep units in moles per thousand milliliters for M, and milliliters for V.

Start with the concentration formula relationship for ease. Find the unknown initial volume. Use the simple volume addition relationship next.

chmdummy1982 said:
Problem 2
49.22 ml of a 2.01 M naOH solution reacts completely with 40.28 mL of HCl solution according to the blanaced chemical reaction shown below:

HCl (aq) + NaOH(aq) -> NaCl(aq) + H2O(I)
Heya,

So what is the question? To find the volume of products? Also, do you have any workings out? If not, what do you know about the balanced equations and ratios of reactants that will help?

The Bob

The second question is missing the molarity of the hydrochloric acid. This is what the question then must ask.

1. What is molarity and how is it different from molality?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that describes the number of moles of a solute per liter of solution. Molality, on the other hand, is a unit of concentration that describes the number of moles of a solute per kilogram of solvent. Molarity takes into account the volume of the solution, while molality takes into account the mass of the solvent.

2. How do you calculate molarity?

Molarity is calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters. This can be represented by the formula M = moles of solute / volume of solution (in liters).

3. What is the difference between a concentrated and a diluted solution?

A concentrated solution has a high amount of solute dissolved in a given amount of solvent, while a diluted solution has a low amount of solute dissolved in a given amount of solvent. This means that a concentrated solution will have a higher molarity than a diluted solution.

4. How do you calculate the dilution of a solution?

Dilution is the process of adding more solvent to a concentrated solution to decrease its concentration. To calculate the dilution of a solution, you can use the formula M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the initial molarity, V1 is the initial volume, M2 is the final molarity, and V2 is the final volume.

5. Can you convert between molarity and molality?

Yes, you can convert between molarity and molality using the density of the solution. The formula for converting from molarity to molality is m = M / ρ, where m is molality, M is molarity, and ρ is the density of the solution. The formula for converting from molality to molarity is M = m * ρ, where M is molarity, m is molality, and ρ is the density of the solution.