Dilution Calc: Find x for 30% Sulphuric Acid

In summary: The correct approach is a bit longer though, I will work on itIn summary, the problem is asking for the value of x so that a final mixture of 30% sulphuric acid (by mass) can be achieved by adding 150g of a 20% sulphuric acid solution to x grams of a 70% sulphuric acid solution. The correct approach involves using the definitions of mass percentage and mass conservation, where the final solution must have equal amounts of acid and water as the sum of the two initial solutions.
triden

Homework Statement

150g of a solution which is 20% sulphuric acid (by mass) are added to x grams of a solution which is 70% sulphuric acid (by mass). What must be the value of x so that the final mixture shall contain 30% sulphuric acid (by mass)?

Homework Equations

a/b=c/d ? Not sure...this is my problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried equivalency calculation and any other ratio calculation that I could think of...all to no avail.

I know that 30g of the original solution is SA and 120g is water. So know I need to raise that concentration (mass SA to mass Water) by 10% with a 70% solution. Where do I get started?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use C1V1 = C2V2

Where C = concentration in mols/L , and V = volume in Liters.

I don't know mols or volume. I think you can solve this question (somehow) without that knowledge.

Well the mass of the sulphuric acid for the first solution is (150 * 0.20)g wouldn't it?

So from there you can solve for mols.

Water has a density of 1g/1mL, so you have a volume.

This is nothing more than percentage and proportion. Your units are all by mass. (or grams, in this case).

No need for moles, and C1V1=C2V2 is not the correct approach.

All you need to use is definition of mass pecentage and mass conservation - whatever you add, it stays in the mix. If you mix two solutions, mass of water in the final solution will equal sum of masses of water in the input solutions. Same about sulfuric acid.

Borek said:
No need for moles, and C1V1=C2V2 is not the correct approach.

All you need to use is definition of mass pecentage and mass conservation - whatever you add, it stays in the mix. If you mix two solutions, mass of water in the final solution will equal sum of masses of water in the input solutions. Same about sulfuric acid.

Can you give me an example to get me started. It is probably way easier than it looks (to me).

Imagine you mix 100g 50% sulfuric acid with 50 g 20% sulfuric acid.

Using percentage definition, you get:

first solution: 50 g acid, 50 g water
second solution: 10 g acid, 40 g water
------------------------------------
mixture: 60 g acid, 90 g water

So the final solution is 40%.

You have to somehow reverse the problem, but the general approach will be based on the same principles.

Yeah I didn't read you question properly, C1V1= C2V2 will definitely not work.

What is the formula for dilution calculation?

The formula for dilution calculation is C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, and V2 is the final volume.

How do I calculate the concentration of a diluted solution?

To calculate the concentration of a diluted solution, use the formula C2 = (C1V1)/V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, and V2 is the final volume.

What is the concentration of a 30% sulphuric acid solution?

The concentration of a 30% sulphuric acid solution is 0.3 mol/L or 30 g/L. This means that for every liter of solution, there is 0.3 mol of sulphuric acid or 30 grams of sulphuric acid.

How do I find the volume of the diluted solution?

To find the volume of the diluted solution, use the formula V2 = (C1V1)/C2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, and C2 is the final concentration.

What is the molarity of a diluted solution?

The molarity of a diluted solution is the concentration of the solution expressed in moles per liter (mol/L). It is calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters.