1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimension 4

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    iam sorry if this is crackpottery,but is it true that a 4 dimensional figure*called the tesseract has been constructed,i came across this over the net.*kindly rebuke me if iam not abiding with the rules of pf.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "constructed"?

4. May 10, 2009 #3

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract it will probably answer all your questions. Assuming with constructed you don't mean built from wood.

5. May 12, 2009 #4
    i mean not exactly constructed,but is the tesseract true,i mean how can a 4d object be
    drawn on paper.the link what you gave was where i saw earlier on tesseract,i want
    a better explanation.

6. May 13, 2009 #5

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The tesseract is not a statement that can be "true" or "false". It's a mathematical object. A 4D object cannot be drawn on paper. The pictures you see of the tesseract are just projections, just like you can project a 3D object onto paper.

7. May 14, 2009 #6
    has the tesseract found its applications in various fields,and on what basis has this been
    projected?,i mean considering what as the 4th dimension has this been projected?

8. May 14, 2009 #7

Cyosis

Homework Helper

That question was answered in the wikipedia link.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook