What is the Dimension of a 3-D Rotation Matrix?

In summary, John is asking for clarification on the dimension of a 3-D rotation matrix and the vector spaces of SO(3, R), SE(3, R), and GL+(3, R)/GL+(2, R). He is also seeking help in understanding the polar decomposition of the deformation gradient F.
oldmathguy
I have a similar question about rotation matrices. I'm trying to understand the dimension of the matrix given below which is a 3-D rotation. I think that its dimension is 3 but unsure. Any help appreciated. Thanks, John

[(cosx sin x 0), (-sinx cosx 0), (0 0 1)] with ( ) = row,

Physics news on Phys.org

Fredrik,

Thanks for your comment. Sorry for not being clearer. I mean the dimension of the vector space of 3 X 3 matrices R in SO(3, R). In other words, the number of elements in the basis. SO(3,R) is nxn real matrices such that RR^T = I & detR = 1.

I think that the answer is 3 but I'm having trouble to list them.

My ultimate goal is to find the dimension of the vector space of the following:
1) SE(3, R) = {g in R^(4x4) | g in [(R r), (000,1)], detg = 1, R in SO(3, R), r in R^3} which, I think, is 6.
2) GL+(3,R)/GL+(2,R) where GL+(n, R) = {M in R^(nxn) | detM >0}

Thanks, John

SO(3) doesn't have a natural vector space structure, since the sum of two of its members isn't in SO(3). It's a 3-dimensional Lie group (a 3-dimensional manifold that's also a group and satisfies an additional technical requirement).

Fredrik,

Thanks for clarifying this. Since a 3-dim. manifold, what do its 3 dimensions represent? By this, I mean are they the rotation matrices (or angles) for rotations about three orthogonal axes ?

SE(3,R) & GL+(3,R) also are Lie groups so how does one get dimensions of these manifolds ?

Sorry to be so clumsy about this !

Thanks, John

oldmathguy said:
Thanks for clarifying this. Since a 3-dim. manifold, what do its 3 dimensions represent? By this, I mean are they the rotation matrices (or angles) for rotations about three orthogonal axes ?

SE(3,R) & GL+(3,R) also are Lie groups so how does one get dimensions of these manifolds ?
A manifold is always equipped with a bunch of coordinate systems. These are functions from open subsets of the manifold into ℝn for some n. That n is the dimension of the manifold. There are many ways to define a coordinate system on SO(3). One way to do it is to use Euler angles. Three Euler angles specify a rotation uniquely.

Fredrik,

Thanks very much for clarifying SO(3, R) using Euler angles. I somewhat understand Euler angles so can see why 3 work.

I found some another good explanation of the dimension of SO(3) by Prof. VVedensky from Imperial College www.cmth.ph.ic.ac.uk/people/d.vvedensky/groups/Chapter7.pdf (p. 116). He also clarifies SE(3,R) being 6-dimensional.

This leaves (thanks to you both) only GL+(3,R)/GL+(2,R). I realize (think !) that dimensions are 9 for GL(3,R) & 4 for GL(2,R) and that this means 5 for GL(3,R)/GL(2,R). However, I'm wondering if the requirement of a positive determinant reduces the dimensions of GL+(3,R), GL+(2,R), & GL+(3,R)/GL+(2,R).

My work concerns the polar decomposition of the deformation gradient F as in F = [v]R where:
F in GL+(3, R)
[v] = {vu | ux = x, u in GL+(3,R), x in R^3, v in Symm+(3, R) diffeomorphic to GL+(3, R)/SO(3,R)}
[v] in GL+(3, R) / N where N = {u | ux = x, u in GL+(3, R), x in R^3} where N is isometric to GL+(2, R)
[v] are equivalence classes of stretches which include both pure stretch & shear
R in SO(3, R)

So, my goal is to understand the dimension of the manifold GL+(3, R) / N.

Thanks again, very much.

John

What is the definition of a matrix dimension?

A matrix dimension refers to the number of rows and columns in a matrix. It is written in the format of "m x n" where m represents the number of rows and n represents the number of columns.

How do you find the dimension of a matrix?

To find the dimension of a matrix, simply count the number of rows and columns. For example, a matrix with 3 rows and 4 columns would have a dimension of 3 x 4.

Can a matrix have a dimension of 0?

No, a matrix must have at least one row and one column, so the minimum dimension of a matrix is 1 x 1.

What is the significance of the dimension of a matrix?

The dimension of a matrix determines its size and shape, which is important in performing mathematical operations on matrices. Matrices must have the same dimensions in order to be added or subtracted, and the number of columns in one matrix must match the number of rows in another for multiplication to be possible.

Can a matrix's dimension change?

No, the dimension of a matrix is fixed and cannot be changed. Adding or removing rows or columns would result in a new matrix with a different dimension.