What Does This Subspace Expression Mean?

In summary, the expression H = {(a+b) + (a - 2b)t + bt^2 | a E R, b E R} represents a subspace of polynomials with real coefficients. The set is 2-dimensional and can be expressed as a linear combination of two basis polynomials, (1 + t + t^2) and (1 - 2t + t^2).
jbmap
Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could help me with something. Could someone explain to me exactly what this expression means:

H = {(a+b) + (a - 2b)t + bt^2 | a E R, b E R}

the purpose is to find the dimension of the given subspace, which I know how to do, I have just never seen this notation, so I'm not exactly sure what this expresssion is telling me about the subspace. since a and e are real numbers, does that mean t is not necessarily a real number? and is the first part of the expression a single vector? or is it some sort of conglomeration of multiple vectors? Thanks for your help
Davy

Physics news on Phys.org
How on Earth did you find its dimension without knowing what it is?

It appears to be a subspace of the vector space of all polynomials with real coefficients. The notation simply tells you that H is the set of all polynomials with a particular kind of coefficients.

Last edited:
thats what i don't understand, how is that expression telling me that it is the set of all polynomials with real coefficients. what is the definition of a, b and t?
thanks

a,b, are defined as Real numbers in the definition of H. t is an indeterminate, this is assumed, apparently, and should be clear from the context of the statement in wherever you found it.

It reads as: H is the set of all expressions of the form (a+b) + (a-2b)t^2 + bt^2 where a and b are elements of R.

But it should be read in context

So if it has 3 variables, then it has 3 dimensions?

No, that certainly isn't true. t isn't a variable in the sense you're using. It is an indeterminate.

The set of all 2nd degree polynomials in t consists of all polynomials of the form

[tex]a + bt + ct^2[/tex]

where a,b and c are arbitrary constants.

Your H is a subset of this set, where the coefficients are limited to certain real values.

Here is what I have come up with: someone please let me know if this is correct, or even close to correct.

if H is the set of all polynomials of the form: (a+b) + (a - 2b)t + bt^2 where a and b are real numbers, then the matrix should sort look like this, but infinite:

| b a-2b a+b |
| b a-2b a+b |
| b a-2b a+b |
| b a-2b a+b |

and (-1)((a-2b) + (a+b)) = b, therefore this is a linearly dependent set, since b is a linear combination of a-2b and a+b. (is this correct?)

Therefore, the dimension is less than 3and since a-2b and a+b are linearly independent, the dimension would be 2

am I even close?

thanks for all help

jbmap said:
Here is what I have come up with: someone please let me know if this is correct, or even close to correct.

if H is the set of all polynomials of the form: (a+b) + (a - 2b)t + bt^2 where a and b are real numbers, then the matrix should sort look like this, but infinite:

| b a-2b a+b |
| b a-2b a+b |
| b a-2b a+b |
| b a-2b a+b |

What matrix?? The problem didn't say anything about a matrix.

[/quote]
and (-1)((a-2b) + (a+b)) = b, therefore this is a linearly dependent set, since b is a linear combination of a-2b and a+b. (is this correct?)

Therefore, the dimension is less than 3and since a-2b and a+b are linearly independent, the dimension would be 2

am I even close?

thanks for all help[/QUOTE]

What you are saying is that the three coefficients of the polynomial are dependent. Effectively, what is happening is that the polynomials in this set all depend upon the choice of two numbers, a and b. That's why this subspace is 2 dimensional.

thank you so much, that's all i needed to hear

You can write any of polynomial in H as a linear combination of two polynomials which form a basis for the subspace H.

A general polynomial in H takes the form:

[tex]a(1 + t + t^2) + b(1 - 2t + t^2)[/tex]

The polynomials in brackets are the basis vectors of H. Two basis vectors are needed, so the dimension of the space H is 2.

What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the properties of a vector space, such as closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication.

How is the dimension of a subspace determined?

The dimension of a subspace is determined by the number of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. This can be found using techniques such as Gaussian elimination or the rank-nullity theorem.

What is the relationship between the dimension of a subspace and the dimension of its parent vector space?

The dimension of a subspace is always less than or equal to the dimension of its parent vector space. In other words, the subspace cannot have more linearly independent vectors than its parent vector space.

Can a subspace have a dimension of 0?

Yes, a subspace can have a dimension of 0 if it only contains the zero vector. This is because the zero vector is considered linearly independent and spans the subspace.

How does the dimension of a subspace affect its properties?

The dimension of a subspace affects its properties in several ways. For example, a subspace with a dimension of 1 is a line, while a subspace with a dimension of 2 is a plane. The dimension also determines the maximum number of linearly independent vectors that can be contained in the subspace.