1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimension of a surface

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    What is the dimension of a surface? My book says it's only 2-dimensional and I guess that makes sense because you only need two parameters to describe it. But other than that it's not really intuitive for me. I mean surely the shell of a sphere can't be vizualized in a xy-coordinate system only?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2
    It's a 2 dimensional object in 3 dimensional space. You can have a function f(x,y) which will give you surface, and obviously only has 2 variables, or dimensions.

4. Feb 19, 2012 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

As soon as you say the surface is on a sphere, you are invoking a third coordinate. The radius of the sphere will uniquely define the point in 3D space.

But it is not necessary to use this coordinate when defining a point on the surface of the sphere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook