Dimension of a vector space

In summary: U \cap W it would be 1 (since a=b+c+e).In summary, the vectors a, b, c, d, and e are given along with sets U and W. The dimension of U is 2, the dimension of W is 2, and the dimension of their intersection is 1. The definition of a basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space.
iamalexalright

Homework Statement

[tex]V=R^{4}\ and\ a^{\rightarrow}, b^{\rightarrow}, c^{\rightarrow}, d^{\rightarrow}, e^{\rightarrow} \in V. [/tex]

(I'll drop the vector signs for easier typing...)

[tex]a = (2,0,3,0), b = (2,1,0,0), c = (-2,0,3,0), d = (1,1,-2,-2), e = (3,1,-5,-2) [/tex]

[tex]Let\ U \subseteq V be\ spanned\ by\ a\ and\ b.\ Let\ W \subseteq V\ be\ spanned\ by\ c,d,e[/tex]

[tex]Compute\ dim_{F}U, dim_{F}W, dim_{F}(U \cap W)[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I guess start with the dimension. We know the vectors a and b span U and by inspection they are linearly independent. Now I'm confused, is the dimension 3 or 4? I think 4 because the vectors have four 'slots' but I also think 3 since the last 'slot' is zero for both.

Also, for [tex]U \cap W[/tex] I would have to prove that a,b,c,d,e are linearly independent before I can find the dimension, no?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of basis?

For dim U, the answer is neither 3 nor 4. You have two vectors that span U and are linearly independent. As rochfor1 asked, what is the definition of a basis?

Yeah, I just realized my error, so for V and W it would be 2 (since c=d+e)

1. What is meant by the "dimension" of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space refers to the number of linearly independent vectors that can span the space. In other words, it is the minimum number of vectors needed to represent any vector in that space.

2. How is the dimension of a vector space determined?

The dimension of a vector space can be determined by finding the number of vectors in a basis for that space. A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can generate all other vectors in the space through linear combinations.

3. Can a vector space have more than one dimension?

Yes, a vector space can have any number of dimensions, including one, two, three, or even infinite dimensions. The dimension of a vector space is determined by the number of linearly independent vectors that can span the space.

4. What is the relationship between the dimension of a vector space and its basis?

The dimension of a vector space is equal to the number of vectors in its basis. In other words, the dimension of a vector space is the minimum number of vectors needed to form a basis for that space.

5. How does the concept of dimension apply to real-world situations?

The concept of dimension is widely applicable in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It helps in understanding the number of parameters or variables needed to fully describe a system or problem. For example, in physics, a 3-dimensional vector space is used to represent the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) and a 4-dimensional vector space is used to represent spacetime.