1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimension of a vector space

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]V=R^{4}\ and\ a^{\rightarrow}, b^{\rightarrow}, c^{\rightarrow}, d^{\rightarrow}, e^{\rightarrow} \in V. [/tex]

(I'll drop the vector signs for easier typing...)

[tex]a = (2,0,3,0), b = (2,1,0,0), c = (-2,0,3,0), d = (1,1,-2,-2), e = (3,1,-5,-2) [/tex]

[tex]Let\ U \subseteq V be\ spanned\ by\ a\ and\ b.\ Let\ W \subseteq V\ be\ spanned\ by\ c,d,e[/tex]

[tex]Compute\ dim_{F}U, dim_{F}W, dim_{F}(U \cap W)[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I guess start with the dimension. We know the vectors a and b span U and by inspection they are linearly independent. Now I'm confused, is the dimension 3 or 4? I think 4 because the vectors have four 'slots' but I also think 3 since the last 'slot' is zero for both.

Also, for [tex]U \cap W[/tex] I would have to prove that a,b,c,d,e are linearly independent before I can find the dimension, no?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2
    What is the definition of basis?
  4. Jan 28, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

For dim U, the answer is neither 3 nor 4. You have two vectors that span U and are linearly independent. As rochfor1 asked, what is the definition of a basis?
  5. Jan 28, 2010 #4
    Yeah, I just realized my error, so for V and W it would be 2 (since c=d+e)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook