1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimension of matrix

1. May 23, 2012 #1

sharks

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]A= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\ 2 & 1 & 0 & -1 \\ 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 \\ -1 &2 &1&0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]Determine the dimension of A and give a set of basis vectors for A.

2. Relevant equations
    Dimension of matrix, ref form of matrix.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I reduced the matrix to row echelon form and then the dimension = rank of matrix. Is that correct? I am quite confused about what dimension means. In a 4x4 matrix, maybe dimension is 16? or is it the number of non-zero matrix elements?

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2012 #2
    Easy way to remember it is:

# of columns - # of non zero rows in rref

4. May 23, 2012 #3

sharks

Gold Member

So, the dimension of A is the rank of the matrix A?

5. May 23, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. In fact, I would consider the term "dimension of a matrix" very strange. The rank of a matrix is the dimension of the image of the matrix.

6. May 23, 2012 #5
    I think by dimension you mean "nullity" cause our lecturer also used "dimension of a matrix" which was confusing when studying from other sources.

Try plugging your matrix in wolfram and ask for nullity.

In the output it states a "dimension" which is always exactly what I always needed. So maybe that's what it means.

7. May 23, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How does your textbook or lecturer or course notes define the term "dimension of a matrix"?

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook