Nontrivial Subspace with Equal Dimensions: Linear Algebra Example

In summary, the conversation is about a person studying for a linear algebra exam and asking for an example of a nontrivial subspace with the same number of dimensions as the original space. They also discuss the meaning of non-trivial and whether it is possible in finite and infinite dimensional spaces. An example of polynomials of even degree as a subspace of all polynomials is suggested as a possible solution.
dan0
Hi,
I'm just learning for my linear algebra exam and I wonder if somebody could give me an example of a nontrivial subspace which has as many dimensions as the original space.
Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
What does non-trivial mean here? With "my" usage of non-trivial, I'd say it's not possible. Because if V is a finite-dimensional vector space and W is a subspace of V with dim(W) = dim(V), then V = W (this uses the fact that n linearly independent vectors in an n-dimensional space must necessarily form a basis of the space). Maybe it's possible with a space of infinite dimension, though.

Last edited:
yep. take polynomials of even degree, as a subspace of all polynomials. does that work?

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that contains all possible combinations of its vectors, as well as the zero vector. In other words, a subspace is a smaller space within a larger space that still follows the same rules and properties as the larger space.

2. How do you determine the dimension of a subspace?

The dimension of a subspace is equal to the number of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. This can be found by using various methods such as row reduction, determinant calculations, or by finding the null space of a matrix.

3. Can a subspace have a dimension of zero?

Yes, a subspace can have a dimension of zero. This means that the subspace only contains the zero vector and no other vectors. In this case, the subspace is referred to as the trivial subspace.

4. What is the relationship between the dimension of a subspace and the dimension of its vector space?

The dimension of a subspace is always less than or equal to the dimension of its vector space. This is because a subspace is a subset of its vector space, so it cannot have more dimensions than the vector space it belongs to.

5. How can the dimension of a subspace be used in practical applications?

The dimension of a subspace can be used to determine the number of independent variables in a system, which is important in fields such as physics and engineering. It can also be used in data analysis and machine learning algorithms to reduce the dimensionality of a dataset and make it more manageable.