Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimension Question.

1. Jan 4, 2006 #1
    I remember when I was in school my professor mathematically shrank a cube to a point and when he did so it was a sphere. So I was wondering does this mean that a sphere is the best way to think 3-D. Then I also wondered what would a square shrink to, I would guess a circle but I do not remember how he did this. Then I thought about a line... would it turn out to be a vector or would it stay a line? Anyhow I would be grateful if someone knew these answers of knows how the math was done to show this.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2006 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A point is a zero-dimensional object. It is not a line segment, a circle, or a sphere, or any other dimensioned object. It is mathematically invalid to speak of a point as being a sphere since a sphere has a non-zero radius by definition. For that matter, it is mathematically invalid to speak of a point as being any dimensioned object. Your professor was playing games with degeneracies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?