1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimension Question.

1. Jan 4, 2006 #1
    I remember when I was in school my professor mathematically shrank a cube to a point and when he did so it was a sphere. So I was wondering does this mean that a sphere is the best way to think 3-D. Then I also wondered what would a square shrink to, I would guess a circle but I do not remember how he did this. Then I thought about a line... would it turn out to be a vector or would it stay a line? Anyhow I would be grateful if someone knew these answers of knows how the math was done to show this.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2006 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A point is a zero-dimensional object. It is not a line segment, a circle, or a sphere, or any other dimensioned object. It is mathematically invalid to speak of a point as being a sphere since a sphere has a non-zero radius by definition. For that matter, it is mathematically invalid to speak of a point as being any dimensioned object. Your professor was playing games with degeneracies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook