1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimension vs Orthogonality

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If {u1, u2,...,um} are nonzero pairwise orthogonal vectors of a subspace W of dimension n, prove that [tex]m \leq n[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I look at all my notes but I still can't understand what this qurstion asks or what definitions I need to be using for this... I'm stuck and appreciate some guidance so I can get started. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, what is n? It's the dimension. So we're asking if a set of mutually orthogonal vectors can have cardinality greater then n. Can it? Hmm, what is dimension? It is the cardinality (size) of a maximally linearly independent set. Does that help? (I.e. you should now think: if I can show that the set is ________ then by what's gone before it must have at most n elements.)

4. Apr 9, 2009 #3
    Do you mean I have to prove that the set is linearly independent? A set of mutually orthogonal non-zero vectors is always linearly independent.

OK so the vectors {u1, u2,...,um} are in Rm and they are orthogonal (i.e uj · ui=0 if i =/= j).

Let's take a linear combination of the vectors in this set that gives the zero vector:

k1u1+k2u2+...+kmum = 0

I just need to show that there's only one value for all the constants, k1 = k2 = … = km = 0.

If I take the dot product of both sides of the equation with u1:

u1 · (k1u1+k2u2+...+kmum) = 0 · u1

Factoring out the constant.

k1(u1 · u1) + k2(u1 · u2) +...+km(u1 · um) = 0

k1(u1)2 + k2(0) +...+km(0) = 0

k1=0 & all scalar coefficients are zeros and therefore vectors are independent.

I showed that the vectors in the set are linearly independent but I can't see exactly how this is useful in showing that [tex]m \leq n[/tex]...
    Could you please provide me with more explanation of what I need to do next?

5. Apr 9, 2009 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I stated the definition of dimension in my first post: it is the maximum size of *any* set of linearly independent vectors. You have a set of m linearly independent vectors. You know that *by definition* the maximum size a set of linearly independent vectors can have is n.

6. Apr 9, 2009 #5
    It proves that [tex]m \leq n[/tex], end of proof? Is what I've done sufficient to write as a proof or do I need to also further prove the definition of dimension that you stated?

7. Apr 10, 2009 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it obviously proves m<=n. Was that really a question? Do I need to explain it more?

What I used above is the definition of dimension. What other one do you have?

8. Apr 10, 2009 #7
    OK, thank you very much for your help Matt. :biggrin:

9. Apr 11, 2009 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seriously, are you using a different definition? You could be using the minimal size of a spanning set as the definition, so you probably ought to show that this agrees with maximal size of a linearly independent set. Or whatever definition you're using (I can't think of another elementary one).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook