Why is concentration used as an input for pH calculations?

Concentration is used as an approximation for activity in certain situations and can be converted to a unitless value using the concentration unit and a conversion factor. In summary, concentration, which has units of moles per volume, is commonly used as an input for log(x) to find pH, pOH, pKa, etc. because it can be converted to a unitless value and used as an approximation for the activity of the hydrogen ion. This is due to the fact that pH is defined as -log(a), where a is the activity of the hydrogen ion and is dimensionless.
zyj
This is something I've been wondering for a while, but I thought that the inputs for things like ln(x), e(x), sin(x), etc. had to be unitless. Then how come concentration, which has units of moles per volume (or I guess just per volume, since moles are just a number? I've never been sure about that...) is used as an input for log(x) to find pH, pOH, pKa, etc.?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I've never thought about that myself.

I would suspect it is because formula pH is defined as, pH=-log(a) where a is the activity of the hydrogen ion and activity is dimensionless.

What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to convert units of measurement from one system to another. It involves using conversion factors and cancelling out units to arrive at the desired unit of measurement.

How does dimensional analysis apply to pH?

In pH calculations, dimensional analysis is used to convert between the logarithmic pH scale and the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution, which is usually measured in moles per liter (mol/L).

What is pH?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is defined as the negative logarithm of the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution.

How is pH calculated?

The pH of a solution can be calculated using the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter. Alternatively, it can be calculated using a pH meter, which measures the electrical potential of the solution and converts it to a pH value.

Why is pH important in science?

pH is important in science because it is a fundamental property of solutions and can affect many chemical and biological processes. It is also used to measure and monitor the acidity or basicity of substances, which can have significant impacts on the environment and human health.