1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional Analysis Problem

1. Aug 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    Use dimensional analysis to determine how the linear speed (v in m/s) of a particle traveling in a circle depends on some, or all, of the following properties: r is the radius of the circle; ω is an angular frequency in s-1 with which the particle orbits about the circle, and m is the mass of the particle. There is no dimensionless constant involved in the relation. (Use r for radius, omega for ω, and m for mass in your answer, as necessary.)

2. Relevant equations:

3. The attempt at a solution:
    My school allows students to take AP Physics as a first year course, though it's designed to be a second year course following Physics Honors. Consequently, I'm lacking some background.

I took AP Calc AB/BC last year (passed the test with 3s in both AB and BC). Also, I've taken a bit of introductory physics as part of the NJROTC program at my school, and through that and reading through a bit of The Principles of Naval Engineering, I can understand physics fairly well when it's explained a bit. I tried to find a dimensional analysis tutorial on this site, but I wasn't having much success.

If someone could point me in the right direction or walk me through this problem, that would be wonderful.

The deadline for the assignment this question is on is 23:59 30Aug09.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Charli, welcome to PF!:smile:

Hint: What are the units of [itex]\omega[/itex]? What are the units of [itex]r[/itex]? What are the units of [itex]m[/itex]? How would you multiply/divide powers of [itex]\omega[/itex], [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] together to get something with units of [itex]v[/itex] (m/s)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook