Dimensional Analysis of Free-Fall Time of Astrophysical Gas Ball

In summary, the task is to use dimensional analysis to find a formula for the free-fall time of an astrophysical ball of gas, which only depends on Newton's constant, G, and the mass and radius of the sphere, M and R respectively. The formula is given by τ = kG^-1/2M^-1/2R^-3/2, where τ is a dimensionless constant. The answer is confirmed by comparing it to Kepler's Third Law. When using physical constants to 3 significant digits, round up to the closest value.
CaptainEvil

Homework Statement

Use dimensional analysis to find a formula for the free-fall time τ of an astrophysical ball of gas. In this system, the only force is gravity, therefore the only quantities are Newton’s constant, G, and the mass and the radius of the sphere, M and R respectively.

Homework Equations

τ = kG[tex]\alpha[/tex]M[tex]\beta[/tex]R[tex]\gamma[/tex]

where τ is a dimensionless constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am using cgs units, and want to satisfy the equation dimensionally.
on the left side we have (s) obviously, and on the right side I have (cm3g-1s-2)[tex]\alpha[/tex](g)[tex]\beta[/tex](cm)[tex]\gamma[/tex]

Rearranging I found easily that [tex]\alpha[/tex] = -1/2, [tex]\beta[/tex] = -1/2 and [tex]\gamma[/tex] = -3/2

Unless I am missing something, that's the answer, but it doesn't look right to me. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I had a question regarding sig figs of fundamental constants. If I am asked to use physical constants to 3 significant digits - and my high-end physics textbook tells me a constant like Planck's constant is 6.6260693 x 10-34, will I use 6.62, or round up to 6.63 for 3 significant digits. Thanks for the hasty reply,

CaptainEvil

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is OK. To convince yourself, square both sides of your equation, take the ratio R3/T2 and compare against Kepler's Third Law.

6.626 is closer to 6.630 than to 6.620. Round up.

I would first like to commend you for using dimensional analysis to find a formula for the free-fall time of an astrophysical gas ball. This is a valuable tool for understanding the relationships between different physical quantities.

Your solution is correct, as confirmed by the fact that the units on both sides of the equation are consistent. The negative exponents for each variable make sense as gravity decreases as distance increases. It is also important to note that the dimensionless constant τ represents the proportionality factor between the different physical quantities.

Regarding your question about significant figures, it is always important to use the appropriate number of significant figures in your calculations. In this case, since the constant you are using is given to 3 significant figures, you should use 6.63 in your calculation. This ensures that your final answer is not more precise than the given constant. However, if you were to use a more precise value for the constant, such as 6.6260693 x 10-34, then you should use all the significant figures in your calculation. This is because using a more precise value for the constant would imply that you have more accurate measurements for the other variables in the equation as well.

1. What is dimensional analysis and why is it important in studying astrophysical gas balls?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical tool used to analyze the relationships between physical quantities. In the case of studying astrophysical gas balls, dimensional analysis helps us understand the factors that affect the free-fall time of these objects. It allows us to identify the key parameters that influence the gas ball's behavior and make predictions based on these parameters.

2. How is free-fall time of astrophysical gas balls calculated using dimensional analysis?

The free-fall time of an astrophysical gas ball can be calculated by using the principle of dimensional homogeneity, which states that the dimensions of all terms in an equation must be the same. By analyzing the dimensions of relevant physical quantities such as mass, radius, and gravitational constant, we can determine the appropriate equation to calculate the free-fall time.

3. What are some common assumptions made in dimensional analysis of free-fall time?

Some common assumptions made in dimensional analysis of free-fall time include assuming a spherical shape for the gas ball, neglecting any external forces such as air resistance, and assuming a uniform distribution of matter within the gas ball. These assumptions help simplify the calculations and provide a more accurate estimation of the free-fall time.

4. How does the free-fall time of astrophysical gas balls vary with different parameters?

The free-fall time of astrophysical gas balls is directly proportional to the square root of the radius and inversely proportional to the square root of the mass. This means that as the radius of the gas ball increases, the free-fall time also increases, while a decrease in mass results in a shorter free-fall time. Other factors that can affect the free-fall time include the gas ball's composition, density, and external gravitational forces.

5. Can dimensional analysis be applied to other astrophysical phenomena besides free-fall time?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be applied to various astrophysical phenomena such as star formation, planetary motion, and the behavior of galaxy clusters. It is a versatile tool that allows scientists to analyze and understand complex physical systems in the universe.