1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional Analysis

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use dimensional analysis to find a formula for the free-fall time τ of an astrophysical ball of gas. In this system, the only force is gravity, therefore the only quantities are Newton’s constant, G, and the mass and the radius of the sphere, M and R respectively.

2. Relevant equations

τ = kG[tex]\alpha[/tex]M[tex]\beta[/tex]R[tex]\gamma[/tex]

where τ is a dimensionless constant.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am using cgs units, and want to satisfy the equation dimensionally.
    on the left side we have (s) obviously, and on the right side I have (cm3g-1s-2)[tex]\alpha[/tex](g)[tex]\beta[/tex](cm)[tex]\gamma[/tex]

Rearranging I found easily that [tex]\alpha[/tex] = -1/2, [tex]\beta[/tex] = -1/2 and [tex]\gamma[/tex] = -3/2

Unless I am missing something, that's the answer, but it doesn't look right to me. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I had a question regarding sig figs of fundamental constants. If I am asked to use physical constants to 3 significant digits - and my high-end physics text book tells me a constant like Planck's constant is 6.6260693 x 10-34, will I use 6.62, or round up to 6.63 for 3 significant digits. Thanks for the hasty reply,

CaptainEvil

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your answer is OK. To convince yourself, square both sides of your equation, take the ratio R3/T2 and compare against Kepler's Third Law.

6.626 is closer to 6.630 than to 6.620. Round up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook