1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional analysis

1. Dec 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do I set up a matrix to find the combination of ( M(L^2)/T ) and I ( L^4)
    that results in units of M/ ( L^2 T^2 ) ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think it looks something like
    [ 1 0
    2 4
    -2 0 ]
    [ a1, a2, a3]
    =
    [1 -2 -2]

but the dimensions of those matrices aren't right

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Given:

Y = M * X

Are you trying to get a vector Y with units of measure of M / ( L^2 T^2 ) from a vector X with units of measure M(L^2)/T multiplied with matrix M? or is this a dot product?

4. Dec 5, 2014 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

That statement of the problem isn't clear. (What would "a combination" mean in this context? ) Try stating the problem as it is actually worded.

Matrices can't be reliably displayed using ordinary typing. You can resort to LaTex https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/ In the meantime, it might be better to use notation like [1,2,-2]^T to denote a column vector.

To have valid multiplication In your work you'd have to multiply on the left by the row vector:

[itex] \begin{bmatrix}a_1&a_2&a_3 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1&0\\2&4\\-2&0 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 1\\-2\\-2 \end{bmatrix} [/itex]

but I don't know if that equation is appropriate, because I don't know what problem you are solving.

Are you trying work a problem similar to the examples shown in the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckingham_π_theorem ?

5. Dec 6, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

jedishfru, Steven,

princejan7 is trying to solve ##\left(\frac {ML^2}T \right)^{a_1}\left(L^4\right)^{a_2} = \frac M{L^2T^2}##. This leads to the matrix equation shown...
    except there is no a3, the a1, a2 should be a column vector, and either the problem has been stated incorrectly or the -2 at lower left of the matrix should be -1.
    ## \begin{bmatrix}1&0\\2&4\\-1&0 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}a_1&a_2 \end{bmatrix}^T= \begin{bmatrix} 1\\-2\\-2 \end{bmatrix}##
    Note: there is no solution. princejan7 , is there perhaps some third input parameter? Or is the -2 right in the matrix (which would permit a solution)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted