Dimensional anaylsis and gravitational law

In summary, the conversation discusses using dimensional analysis to investigate the gravitational law. However, it is concluded that dimensional analysis is not a tool to obtain new physical laws. It is only useful in predicting relationships between variables and identifying dimensionless constants.
Shing Ernst
Pretend that we do not know gravitational law at all, and want to investigate the gravitational law by dimensional analysis:

Let's suppose the gravitational force are proportional to both masses, distance, hence:

[tex] F \propto m_1^am_2^br_{12}^c [/tex]

But obviously, there is no way to equal the dimensions, since the right side has no dimension of time at all. Making a constant G fitting the dimensions kind of sounds like a cheat to me here. It left me wonder if dimensional analysis fails.

Hence I would like to pose: how do we obtain the gravitational law by dimensional analysis? If impossible, then when, and how dimensional analysis fails?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your problem. ##G## also has a dimension. The correct law is that
$$|\vec{F}| =\frac{G m_1 m_2}{r^2}.$$
The dimensions are
$$\text{N}=\text{kg} \, \text{m}/\text{s}^2=[G] \text{kg}^2/\text{m}^2 \; \Rightarrow \; [G]=\text{m}^3/(\text{kg} \, \text{s}^2).$$
The value is ##6.67408(31) \cdot 10^{-11}\, \frac{\text{m}^3}{\text{kg} \, \text{s}^2}##.

Shing Ernst said:
how do we obtain the gravitational law by dimensional analysis? If impossible, then when, and how dimensional analysis fails?
Dimensional analysis is not the tool to obtain new physical laws.

You mean something like this can make you happy ?

Not exactly...
I mean if we know absolutely nothing about Newton's gravitational law, and we want to find gravitational law by dimensional analysis.
however, this seems impossible to me (as I wrote in my 1st post)

You don't do it by dimensional analysis. You do it by observing the motions of the planets and dropping cannonballs off towers (allegedly).

vanhees71 said:
I don't understand your problem. ##G## also has a dimension. The correct law is that
The dimensions are
$$\text{N}=\text{kg} \, \text{m}/\text{s}^2=[G] \text{kg}^2/\text{m}^2 \; \Rightarrow \; [G]=\text{m}^3/(\text{kg} \, \text{s}^2).$$
The value is ##6.67408(31) \cdot 10^{-11}\, \frac{\text{m}^3}{\text{kg} \, \text{s}^2}##.
this is obvious in hindsight. but imagine we live in a time before Newton, and want to figure it out by dimensional analysis - we know nothing about G. While in dimensional analysis, we usually assume no dimensions for the proportional constant.

A.T. said:
Dimensional analysis is not the tool to obtain new physical laws.
Would you mind elaborating a bit more?

I actually asked this question here, but got duplicate. however, the other site's answer doesn't satisfy me at all.

Shing Ernst said:
It left me wonder if dimensional analysis fails.
Are there any examples where dimensional analysis succeeds ? - without making some restrictive assumptions about the equation that is to be deduced.

Shing Ernst said:
Would you mind elaborating a bit more?
See post #6.

vanhees71 said:
The dimensions are

I think these are UNITS...not dimensions!

In a fixed system of units as the here used SI there's a one-to-one correspondence between units and dimensions.

The link seems no longer work..
No but a simple search for cantwell dimensional analysis fixes that easily: here

vanhees71 said:
In a fixed system of units as the here used SI there's a one-to-one correspondence between units and dimensions.

There may be a one to one correspondence but they are different physics concepts. Why do we use dimensions...M,L, T and C?
If an exam question asks for dimensional analysis, using units would lose marks !

Shing Ernst said:
how do we obtain the gravitational law by dimensional analysis? If impossible, then when, and how dimensional analysis fails?
always , how can you derive relations with dimensional analysis.
it is not logical at all

I think dimensional analysis can be helpful. If you suspect there is a relationship between certain variables you can use observations, general knowledge and sometimes even complete guesses to predict what all of the variables may be and how they are related. You can then carry out a dimensional analysis and possibly come up with equations that balance.You can then test the equations experimentally and the experiments can yield the values of any dimensionless constants.

Dimensional analysis has its limitations and it may not work in many if not most cases. But it doesn't take long to carry out and it can give some clues on how to proceed with other methods.

Likes DrClaude

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to convert units from one system to another. It involves using the dimensions of physical quantities to ensure that equations and measurements are consistent and accurate.

2. How does dimensional analysis relate to gravitational law?

Dimensional analysis is important in gravitational law because it helps us understand the relationship between various physical quantities, such as mass, distance, and force. By analyzing the dimensions of these quantities, we can derive equations that describe the behavior of objects under the influence of gravity.

3. Can dimensional analysis be used to predict the behavior of objects in space?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used to predict the behavior of objects in space, as it allows us to analyze the effects of gravitational forces on these objects. By using the correct dimensions and units, we can accurately predict the trajectories and interactions of celestial bodies.

4. What are some common units used in dimensional analysis for gravitational law?

Some common units used in dimensional analysis for gravitational law include mass (kilograms), distance (meters), and force (newtons). Other units, such as seconds and joules, may also be used depending on the specific equation or problem being analyzed.

5. How does dimensional analysis help us understand the effects of gravity on Earth?

Dimensional analysis allows us to analyze the relationships between mass, distance, and force in gravitational law, which helps us understand how gravity affects objects on Earth. By using this technique, we can determine the gravitational force between two objects, the acceleration due to gravity, and other important factors that affect the behavior of objects on Earth.