Dimensional Equivalence: Exploring Redundancy in Units of Measurement

• Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalence
In summary, the problem arises by assigning the speed of light 'c' to unity which materially changes the dimensions of the units. However, if x=1 then x^2=1 regardless of the units assigned to 'x'.
SW VandeCarr
Given two units of measurements with the same physical dimensions (LMT), are they redundant? For example, Einstein's stress-energy tensor of GR uses units of pressure and energy density which are clearly distinguished in most interpretations. However both pressure and energy density have the same LMTdimensions: (L^-1)M(T^-2). In what way are they distinguished?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why no responses? It's it's fundamental question. Every first year course in physics teaches LMT systems (MKS, cgs, etc). Reducing derived quantities to a set of fundamental dimensions can be very useful. It turns out that energy density (Joules/meter^3) is dimensionally identical to pressure. In Einsteins General Theory of Relativity's stress-energy tensor, energy density and pressure are treated as distinct quantities. You don't need to know relativity to answer the question: Are two quantities which are dimensionally equivalent redundant or are there good reasons for distinguishing them?

I don't know anything about stress energy tensors but you can certainly come up with two things which are dimensionally equivalent but are very different. Think of all the combinations of quantities that become dimensionless (like length per length for a slope). All of them are very different, but have identical dimensions.

m00npirate said:
I don't know anything about stress energy tensors but you can certainly come up with two things which are dimensionally equivalent but are very different. Think of all the combinations of quantities that become dimensionless (like length per length for a slope). All of them are very different, but have identical dimensions.

I agree, but zero dimensions is a special case. Energy has the LMT dimensions M(L^2)(T^-2). If you want to express energy density you would divide by L^3 and get
M(L^-1)(T^-2). Force has the dimensions ML(T^-2). Pressure is force per unit area or
M(L^-1)(T^-2) which is identical to energy density.

I already raised this issue in the cosmology forum and didn't get a satisfactory answer. Essentially the problem arises by setting the speed of light 'c' to unity. Then c^2 also equals unity. This materially changes the dimensions of the units because 'one' simply drops out of the equations. I think this leads to fundamental misrepresentation of what the units mean. Like I said, this is not an issue of relativity but how fundamental concepts of units of measurement are used and interpreted. Am I wrong?

Work and Torque have the same units.
Work comes from a dot-product. Torque comes from a cross-product.

SW VandeCarr said:
Essentially the problem arises by setting the speed of light 'c' to unity. Then c^2 also equals unity. This materially changes the dimensions of the units because 'one' simply drops out of the equations.
A dimensionful quantity with value of 1 in some system of units is not at all the same as a dimensionless 1. E.g. 1 m ≠ 1 m² ≠ 1.

robphy said:
Work and Torque have the same units.
Work comes from a dot-product. Torque comes from a cross-product.

Good example. Would this apply to energy density vs pressure? Energy density is a scalar but pressure, as a force acting on a surface, would be a vector. I guess that's the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

DaleSpam said:
A dimensionful quantity with value of 1 in some system of units is not at all the same as a dimensionless 1. E.g. 1 m ≠ 1 m² ≠ 1.

I know, but if x=1 then x^2=1 regardless of the units assigned to 'x'.

SW VandeCarr said:
I know, but if x=1 then x^2=1 regardless of the units assigned to 'x'.
No, if x = 1 then x is dimensionless and cannot have any units assigned to it. If x = 1 U where U is any unit then x² = 1 U² regardless of the unit U assigned to x.

DaleSpam said:
No, if x = 1 then x is dimensionless and cannot have any units assigned to it. If x = 1 U where U is any unit then x² = 1 U² regardless of the unit U assigned to x.

Measured in meters/sec (m/s) c=3x10^8 m/s and c^2=9x10^16 (m/s)^2.

Set 'c' to unity and call this unit a 'lux', then c=1 lux and c^2=1 lux^2. The units then for E=mc^2=m (kg)(lux^2). The problem is that the units may drop in calculations so that you get a result E=m in terms of the numbers. In any case, as robphy pointed out, the problem is solved. Quantities can be dimensionally equivalent and still be different if they are of different tensor ranks or use cross products vs dot products.

SW VandeCarr said:
The problem is that the units may drop in calculations so that you get a result E=m in terms of the numbers.
I don't see the problem. If you drop the units then you have made a mistake. Don't make the mistake of dropping units, then setting c = 1 lux or whatever is not a problem.

1. What is dimensional equivalence?

Dimensional equivalence refers to the concept of different physical quantities having the same units of measurement. This means that although they may represent different things, they can be compared and converted using the same mathematical equations.

2. How is dimensional equivalence useful in science?

Dimensional equivalence is useful in science because it allows for easier comparison and conversion between different physical quantities. This makes it easier to analyze and understand data, as well as to make predictions and solve problems.

3. Can dimensional equivalence be applied to all physical quantities?

No, not all physical quantities can be considered dimensionally equivalent. For example, time and length cannot be converted using the same equations, as they have different units of measurement (seconds and meters, respectively).

4. What is the difference between dimensional equivalence and dimensional analysis?

Dimensional equivalence refers to the comparison and conversion of physical quantities using the same units of measurement, while dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to ensure the correctness of equations by checking their dimensional consistency.

5. How does dimensional equivalence relate to the concept of units in science?

Dimensional equivalence is closely related to the concept of units in science, as it is based on the understanding that different physical quantities can be expressed using the same units of measurement. Units are essential in science as they provide a standardized way to communicate and compare measurements.