1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional knots?

1. Jun 28, 2003 #1
    Hey all, i dont know if this is the right forum for this but i think there is a branch of math that studies knot and i just have few questions.
    Today i was untying a knot and then i though, maybe it would be easier to untie a 3D knot in a 4D world (not time). Am i right? Since nobody can visualize a 4D dimention, so i simplified to 2D knot in 3D, then i realize you cannot have a knot in 2D, the string has to cross itself(entering 3D) at least once to become a knot.
    Then further, how much a higher dimention knot look or act like in a lower dimention, or does that not even apply? Anyway just few questions that bugged me the whole day, thanks for reading!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2003 #2
    The branch of mathematics you're thinking of is Topology, or, more specifically a subfield of Topology called Knot Theory. And, I think, the dimensonality your thinking of isn't what the mathematicians are thinking of. I won't say any more, as I earned a C+ in topology. I'll leave it to my colleagues.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?