Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional Probability

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    Anyone care to critique this talk abstract for the CSAAPT Meeting, 3/16/2013?

DIMENSIONAL PROBABILITIES
    by
    Ted Erikson
    R/E Unltd, Chicago

What identifies a position or location but has no "dimension" and zero "probability" of measurement? Certainly this implies a point. But what are totally agreed upon meanings of the quoted words? Summing up an extensive web search, dimension is a hyperbolic synonym with many meanings while probability can be either objective (result of experimental outcomes) or subjective (e.g. Bayesian).

Dimension and probability appeared significant in an FQXi physics essay* contest that I entered last summer to define panpsychism. Three non-collinear points can define a 2-D equilateral triangle, i.e. area. With one point as an origin for place probabilities of the other two and extrapolating a probability versus dimension plot, a third dimension, i.e. volume, emerges at 100% probability!

Four such points are required to define the space occupied by matter, i.e. protons, electrons, and neutrons. Again, referred to one point as an origin in a regular tetrahedron, extrapolations imply 4-D, i.e. space-time and a minus1-D. Pyramid extrapolates to~7 dimensions and a minus 1/2 dimension.

Are space-time dimensions and probability really understood?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2
    The horror... the horror...

4. Feb 22, 2013 #3
    So, what is a definitive definition of "dimension" and "probability" to use in Physics?

5. Feb 22, 2013 #4
    Please just look up those words in Wikipedia.

6. Feb 22, 2013 #5
    See first entry for what was found there and elsewhere!

7. Feb 24, 2013 #6
    Revised: Errors revealed in re-reading first draft post above. Sorry, too impulsive.

DIMENSION AND PROBABILITY
    by
    Ted Erikson
    R/E Unltd, Chicago

What identifies a position or location but has no "dimension" and zero "probability" of measurement? Certainly this implies a point. But what are totally agreed upon meanings of the quoted words? Summing up an intensive web search, dimension is a hyperbolic synonym with many meanings while probability can be either objective (result of experimental outcomes) or subjective (e.g. Bayesian).

Dimension and probability appears as significant in an FQXi physics essay* contest that I entered last summer to define panpsychism. In a 2-D equilateral triangle, with one point as an origin for other two, a probability versus dimension plot shows extrapolated evidence of 0-D and 3-D as expected. For vertices of a 3-D regular tetrahedron as 4 points, treated in the same fashion as 16 trees, implies evidence that extrapolate to minus 1-D and ~4-D. For a 4-D pyramid, (minus ~1/2)-D and ~7-D appears.

Four such points are required to define the space occupied by matter, (i.e. protons, electrons, and neutrons). For spherical spaces, I conclude an infinite-D for a 100% probability and well below 50% for anything less considered.

Are space-time dimensions and probability really understood?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook