Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional problem

1. Jul 23, 2004 #1
    When i am in a 3 dimensional space, can i see any 3 - dimensional figure?
    and actually i do not much know about what is 3 dimensional . Could anyone explain it further please?THx

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2004 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know what length, height and width are, right? There you have it.

4. Jul 24, 2004 #3
    oh thx . then how about 4d ?

5. Jul 24, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

We cannot percieve more than 3 spatial dimensions.

6. Jul 24, 2004 #5
    The fourth dimension is time. While we can't perceive anything above the three common spatial dimensions and the temporal dimensions, superstring theory calls for 10 dimensions (9 spatial, 1 temporal) and M-theory calls for even more. While neither of these theory of everything candidates has been proven (actually, M-theory is just a more robust form of superstring theory so technically they're the same), the evidence is convincing. We "see" these extra dimensions in terms of disturbances in them, i.e. what we call forces. They would explain the four fundamental forces and the dimensions beyond 4 could escape our notice by being "curled up". It's an interesting Universe we live in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?