1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensionless schrodinger EQ

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    Hi im new to quantum physics and i have been asked to find the dimensionless schrodinger EQ for a wave function it says sub in t = (2/ohm)*tor and x = sqrt(h-bar/m*ohm)z now do i just put in these values and diffreinchiate threw ? or is it more complex ?

thank you for your time Ross Taylor

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What does the Schoedinger equation look like to start? In particular are the variables already x and t or are those to be new variables? My point is that you can't just "sub in" (2/ohm)*tor and [itex]\sqrt{h-bar/m* ohm()z}[/itex]: those aren't "things" that you can substitute, just units of measurement! You want to multiply and divide your equation by quantities that have those units until you get the right combinations (and then replace them by variables).

4. Jan 21, 2008 #3
    how do u get the equation bit up ? its not h-bar its h/2pi but i carnt get the symbol for that if u could help me out by telling me how to do that ill re put it up

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?