How do I Calculate Derived Dimensions from Fundamental Units?

In summary, the Bob is having trouble working out how to derive dimensions from their fundamental units. He is asking for help from others and they all provide help.
Noxman
I need to work out to dimensions that are derived from their fundamental units... I am having a small amount of trouble working out exactly how to do this...
eg: Force
Pressure
Energy (using W.D.= force x distance)

Thankyou for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I am not overly confident that I understand what you are asking for. Are you asking how to derive formulae or how they were formed?

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. I guess someone else will understand immediately but I am afraid I do not.

I think I know what Noxman wants.

You can derive any particular thing such as Energy and Pressure etc in fundamental units. The key is just to break them down. For example.

For Energy we know that W.D = F * d

d is distance measured in meters.

Force is measured in Newtons but this is not a fundamental unit...

So:

F = m * a

m is in Kg and a is acceleration and so in units of [tex]ms^-2[/tex]

So units of W.D. => Energy or Joules = [Kg] [ [tex]m^2s^-2[/tex] ]

this should put you on the right track to do pressure by yourself.

:smile:

Last edited:
F=ma
gives dimensions of F
[F] = [M] [M^0 LT^-2] = [M L T^-2]

hence W = F . s gives
[W] = [M L T^-2] [L] = [M L^2 T^-2]
do you want this??

The "fundamental" units are: length, mass, time, charge, etc. Other units are "manufactured" from them as others have indicated:
velocity= distance/time,
acceleration= distance/time2, etc.

In the MKS system, we measure length in meters, mass in kg., time in seconds so the "unit" of speed is m/s, acceleration m/s2 (which have no separate name), force (from F= ma) kg-m/s2 (the "Newton"), energy (from either KE= (1/2)mv2 or work= distance*force) kg-m2/s2 (the Joule).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou all for your help... Everything is good now, rather annoyingly my teacher was doing it just because it had appeared on an exam like once in 20 years... Thankyou again.

1. What are dimensions and why are they important in science?

Dimensions refer to the physical quantities that are used to describe the properties of an object or system. They are important in science because they provide a way to quantify and measure the characteristics of the natural world.

2. What is the difference between dimensions and units?

Dimensions are the physical quantities, such as length, time, or mass, while units are the specific measurements used to express those quantities, such as meters, seconds, or kilograms. Dimensions provide the framework for understanding and measuring units in a consistent manner.

3. Why do we use the metric system for units of measurement?

The metric system, also known as the International System of Units (SI), is a standardized system of measurement used in science because it is based on logical and consistent units. It makes conversions between units easier and more accurate, and is used by the majority of countries around the world.

4. Can dimensions be converted between different unit systems?

Yes, dimensions can be converted between different unit systems. This is possible because dimensions are universal and do not change, while units are just different ways of expressing those dimensions. Conversions are done by using conversion factors, which relate different units to each other.

5. How do dimensions relate to equations in science?

Dimensions are a crucial component in equations in science. In order for an equation to be physically meaningful, the dimensions on both sides of the equation must be consistent. This means that the dimensions of each term (e.g. length, time, mass) must be the same on both sides of the equation.