Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensions of a blackhole

1. Jun 25, 2014 #1
    I know this is far from what a strict obeyance to the principle of occoms razor may result in and its probably wrong. is it theoretically possible that as a star contracts to result in a blackhole, the contraction does not stop when its just a point hole, but continues, expanding in a negative dimension, increasing in negative size and giving rise to a negative universe? To inhabitants of such a universe, if such is possible, its birth would resemble our big bang, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Interesting thought but its pure speculation since the physics of black holes doesn't extend to the point of singularity so we just don't know.

Perhaps once we discover the theory of quantum gravity then things will become more clear.

Even if we could design an experiment to test out your thought no light signals would ever escape for us to view since the escape velocity, once you're past the blackhole event horizon, is greater than the speed of light itself so basically you'd never be able to tell us what happened.

However, you could use it as a premise for a cool science-fiction story realizing that you'd have to violate one or more principles of physics to make it interesting.

Also please be aware that PF doesn't dwell on speculative science or personal theories and will often close threads related to it. PF is focused primarily on helping students understand mainstream STEM subjects.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  4. Jun 25, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

5. Jun 25, 2014 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Oh, the gravity of it all that causes the space between the words black hole to disappear into the void of malapropism...

6. Jun 25, 2014 #5
    jedishrfu, lol.. black>-----<hole
    Anyway, i know this can never be objectively tested, hence the words theoretically (although, i did allude to my speculation that this could have actually happened to our universe)

Simon, thanks, ill read up on it.

PS: Do you think the laws of physics inside such a universe would be the same?

7. Jun 25, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... yeah, we'll be telling Uranus jokes next.

... the word "speculation" is more appropriate here than "theory". Take care with speculations on PF.

The link I provided has the background and a short discussion on the questions you raise here.
    It is also well discussed in these forums and elsewhere online, you should investigate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook