What are the dimensions of the pointing vector in physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for S, E, and H, as well as the dimension and unit for H. The individuals also inquire about a standard operator for denoting dimensions of a quantity, specifically the power per unit area.
PhDorBust
Sorry for the trivial question. But I'm not a physics student by training and I think I running into problems due to interchanging metrical systems.

[tex]S = E \times H[/tex]

[tex]
E \equiv \frac{N}{C}[/tex]

[tex]
H \equiv \frac{N}{A \cdot m}

[/tex]

Also, is there any standard operator for denoted dimensions of a quantity? The answer should be power per unit area - I get some extra charge dimensions among other things. Cross product should behave dimensionally as normal multiplication.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhDorBust said:
[tex]
H \equiv \frac{N}{A \cdot m}

[/tex]

The dimension of H is current/length so the unit is A/m.

ehild

1. What is a ponyting vector?

A ponyting vector is a vector that represents the direction and magnitude of energy flow in an electromagnetic field. It is named after physicist John Henry Poynting, who first described it.

2. What are the dimensions of a ponyting vector?

The dimensions of a ponyting vector are energy per unit time per unit area, typically expressed in units of watts per square meter (W/m²). This represents the amount of energy flowing through a unit area in a given amount of time.

3. How is a ponyting vector calculated?

A ponyting vector is calculated by taking the cross product of the electric field vector and the magnetic field vector at a given point in an electromagnetic field. It can also be calculated by multiplying the electric field intensity by the magnetic field intensity and then multiplying by the cosine of the angle between the two vectors.

4. What is the significance of the ponyting vector in electromagnetic theory?

The ponyting vector is significant because it helps us understand the flow of energy in electromagnetic fields. It allows us to calculate the rate at which energy is being transferred through space, which is important in many applications such as telecommunications, power generation, and astronomy.

5. How is the ponyting vector used in practical applications?

The ponyting vector is used in a variety of practical applications, including radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication, and satellite technology. It is also used in the design of antennas, solar panels, and other devices that utilize electromagnetic energy. Additionally, the ponyting vector is used in research and development of new technologies related to energy transfer and conversion.