Exploring the Optimal Dimensions and Materials for High Vacuum Transparent Tubes

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the maximum dimensions for a transparent tube and the material needed to achieve a high vacuum. The questioner is unsure about the theoretical limit and the thickness of the glass needed to withstand the specified dimensions. The responder suggests using a parabolic function and advises the questioner to reflect on their purpose for asking the question.
Kamil19991
Hello
For the purpose of the experiment, I wonder what the maximum dimensions can have a transparent tube, I thought over a diameter of 30cm and a length of 1-1,5m and from what material should such a pipe be made. I would like to get a high vacuum (about 0,2-2Pa)

Physics news on Phys.org
Kamil19991 said:
Hello
For the purpose of the experiment, I wonder what the maximum dimensions can have a transparent tube, I thought over a diameter of 30cm and a length of 1-1,5m and from what material should such a pipe be made. I would like to get a high vacuum (about 0,2-2Pa)
I don't see how you can specify a theoretical limit since you could just make thicker and thicker glass tubes as the size goes up. What's your point in asking?

phinds said:
I don't see how you can specify a theoretical limit since you could just make thicker and thicker glass tubes as the size goes up. What's your point in asking?
So what thickness should the glass have in such a size to withstand?

Kamil19991 said:
I have no idea. I ask AGAIN ... What's your point in asking?

phinds said:
I have no idea. I ask AGAIN ... What's your point in asking?

Not very constructive advice methinks. How about you take a timeout.

OP have you tried using a parabolic function?

Kamil19991 said:
How long is a string?

Likes phinds
Kuzon said:
Not very constructive advice methinks.

Trying to find out why someone is asking a question can in fact be the most constructive approach, in my experience. Often the questioner doesn't have a well-formed question, and so attempting to answer it is not very constructive.

Likes Vanadium 50 and NTL2009

What is a vacuum tube?

A vacuum tube is an electronic device that controls the flow of electric current. It consists of a sealed glass tube from which all air has been removed, creating a vacuum inside. This vacuum allows electrons to flow freely from one electrode to another, allowing for the amplification and control of electrical signals.

What are the dimensions of a vacuum tube?

The dimensions of a vacuum tube can vary depending on its purpose and design. However, most vacuum tubes are typically a few inches in length and less than an inch in diameter. The exact dimensions may also be influenced by the type of base or socket used to connect the tube to other components.

What are the different types of vacuum tube dimensions?

There are several types of vacuum tube dimensions, including physical dimensions (such as length and diameter), electrical dimensions (such as voltage and current ratings), and mechanical dimensions (such as socket type and mounting options). These dimensions can vary greatly depending on the specific type and purpose of the vacuum tube.

How do vacuum tube dimensions affect performance?

The dimensions of a vacuum tube can have a significant impact on its performance. For example, a longer tube may allow for more electrodes and a higher voltage rating, resulting in increased amplification capabilities. Similarly, a larger diameter tube may allow for larger electrodes, which can improve the tube's power handling capabilities.

Are there standard dimensions for vacuum tubes?

While there are some standard dimensions for certain types of vacuum tubes, such as the popular 12AX7 and EL34 tubes, there is no universal standard for all vacuum tubes. The dimensions can vary greatly depending on the manufacturer, design, and purpose of the tube. It is always important to consult the specifications for a specific vacuum tube to ensure compatibility with other components in a circuit.