What is the proof for dim U = 3(3-r) in a 3x3 matrix over field K?

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, there is a 3x3 matrix A over field K with rank r. U is marked as a subset of 3x3 matrices, X, such that AX=0. It can be proven that the dimension of U is 3(3-r). Each column of A represents 3-r, and since there are 3 columns, it results in 3(3-r). The kernel of A, W, is the set of vectors such that Av=0 and has dimension 3-r. The image of A, A(K3), has dimension r. As AX=0, X must have rank less than or equal to 3-r. Proof of dim U=3(3-r) is based
transgalactic
there is a matrix A of M3X3 (K) over field K
so rank A=r , marked U as A of M3X3 (K) so AX=0

prove that dim U=3(3-r))
??i was told that each column gives me 3-r we have 3 columns so
it 3(3-r)

i can't understand how we get 3-r out of each column??

there is W={x exists in R^3|Ax=0}
dim W=3-r
1-1 function hase Ker (t)=0
Im (T)=WxWxW

i understand that W is the kernel of T
then they say

"dim W=3-r"
so '"r" is the Image of the matrix
but why its from one column
??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
transgalactic said:
there is a matrix A of M3X3 (K) over field K
so rank A=r , marked U as A of M3X3 (K) so AX=0

prove that dim U=3(3-r))
??

i was told that each column gives me 3-r we have 3 columns so
it 3(3-r)

i can't understand how we get 3-r out of each column??
This is very hard to understand! I assume you mean that A is a 3 by 3 matrix having rank r and U is the subset of 3 by 3 matrices, X, such that AX= 0. The fact that A has rank 3 means that its image, A(K3), has dimension r. That also means that only r of its columns, thought of as vectors in K3, are independent and that kernel of A, the set of vectors, v, in K3 such that Av= 0 has dimension 3-r. If AX= 0, then X must have image a subset of the kernel of A: X must have rank less than or equal to 3-r.

how did they prove that
dim U=3(3-r)
??

whats A(k^3)
??

What is a "Dimension proof question"?

A dimension proof question is a type of question that requires the use of mathematical concepts such as geometry, algebra, and calculus to prove that a certain statement or hypothesis is true or false.

What are the key elements of a dimension proof question?

The key elements of a dimension proof question include a statement or hypothesis to be proven, a set of given information or assumptions, and a series of logical steps and mathematical equations to arrive at a conclusion.

How do I approach solving a dimension proof question?

First, carefully read and understand the given information and the statement to be proven. Then, use your knowledge of mathematical concepts and techniques to manipulate equations and make logical deductions. Keep track of your steps and make sure to provide clear explanations for each step.

What are some common challenges in solving dimension proof questions?

Some common challenges in solving dimension proof questions include determining which mathematical concepts and techniques to use, keeping track of all the steps and equations, and making sure all assumptions and deductions are accurate and logical.

How can I improve my skills in solving dimension proof questions?

To improve your skills in solving dimension proof questions, practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of questions and techniques. Seek guidance from teachers or peers and try to understand the logic behind each step rather than memorizing formulas or processes.