Sizing a Dimmer Choke for Filtering EMI

• Thread starter euler_fan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker considering building a dimmer as their first project and struggling with sizing the choke and understanding the role of LC filtering in reducing EMI. There is also a discussion about the safety concerns of working with AC mains power and alternative projects to consider. The speaker provides two links for reference and reassures that they have experience with electricians and have taken precautions while working with AC circuits. The conversation ends with a discussion about the goal of the LC filter and how it can be implemented for both conducted and radiated emissions.
euler_fan
I have been considering making a dimmer as the first of many projects to come. Searching google I have found quite a few good references. I understand that a inductor (choke) capacitor pair reduces the EMI caused by the rise time of the "firing angle".

The problem I am having is in how do I size the choke instead of using a value between a max and min range and adjusting accordingly. Looking for a point in the right direction. Thanks in advance

Just a thought :rolleyes: would this be along the lines of LC filtering in power supplies!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you post a link to a reference on the dimmer circuit you are looking at? BTW, a dimmer is not generally a good first project to do, since it involves working with AC mains power. AC mains power is very dangerous, even when you know what you are doing and take some basic precautions (like using an isolation transformer). If you haven't designed and built AC mains circuitry before, I'd recommend picking a different first couple of projects. You could do a PWM DC motor drive controller, for example, and get a lot of the same knowledge without the danger or killing yourself.

The 2 links I have been using are:

www.ece.utexas.edu/~grady/EE362L_Triac_Light_Dimmer.pdf[/URL]
[url]http://www.epanorama.net/documents/lights/lightdimmer.html[/url]

Thank you for your safety concerns and let me assure that I understand the dangers having apprentice with electricians while completing my engineering technology degree (electronic Technologist). Furthermore, I have gone so far as to build a tester where I can connect in series any commercial dimmer to binding post and dim 1-3 loads. In any event still looking into passive LC filtering.

Last edited by a moderator:
The epanorama.net page didn't help me, because the site goes nuts with popups. Yikes. The PDF reference was better, but it didn't show the LC filter that you want to add. Are you just going to add it in series with the Hot and Neutral leads into the dimmer plus bulb? Is the goal to reduce conducted harmonics that the dimmer plus bulb are putting out onto the H-N line? Or are you trying to reduce radiated emissions?

berkeman said:
Is the goal to reduce conducted harmonics that the dimmer plus bulb are putting out onto the H-N line? Or are you trying to reduce radiated emissions?

They are going to be one of the same since the line will be the chief radiator anyway.

Averagesupernova said:
They are going to be one of the same since the line will be the chief radiator anyway.
True, but conducted emissions and radiated emissions generally are in different frequency bands. The radiated emissions testing runs from 30MHz up through a couple GHz, and conducted emissions testing is below 30MHz generally. I'd do filtering differently for each of these two emissions tests.

1. How do I determine the appropriate size for a dimmer choke for filtering EMI?

The size of a dimmer choke for filtering EMI (electromagnetic interference) depends on several factors such as the frequency range of the EMI, the power rating of the dimmer, and the type of load being controlled. It is best to consult the manufacturer's specifications or consult with an experienced engineer for guidance on selecting the appropriate size.

2. Can I use a dimmer choke for filtering EMI with any type of dimmer?

No, not all dimmers are compatible with dimmer chokes for filtering EMI. It is important to check the specifications of both the dimmer and the choke to ensure compatibility. Using an incompatible dimmer choke can result in poor performance or even damage to the equipment.

3. What are some common types of dimmer chokes for filtering EMI?

Some common types of dimmer chokes for filtering EMI include ferrite chokes, inductor chokes, and toroidal chokes. Each type has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain applications.

4. How do dimmer chokes for filtering EMI work?

Dimmer chokes for filtering EMI work by reducing the amount of electromagnetic noise generated by the dimmer. They do this by using magnetic fields to cancel out the noise, resulting in a cleaner power signal.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using dimmer chokes for filtering EMI?

Dimmer chokes for filtering EMI are generally safe to use, but it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and precautions. Some chokes may get hot during operation, so proper ventilation and mounting should be considered. It is also important to ensure that the dimmer choke is installed correctly to avoid any potential hazards.