Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dinning out

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

What is your favourite food when eating out? i am looking forwards to going to an American themed restaurant tomorrow night and maybe sample some Cajun dishes.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cal-Med, sushi, Thai.... mmmmm.

- Warren

4. Aug 28, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lucky you - there are so many delicious Cajun dishes! Red beans and rice, gumbo, jambalaya. But my favorite - étouffée. Sooooo good.

5. Aug 28, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I haven't been able to indulge for a long time, due to some medical conditions, but as you might expect, I had a grand time ferreting out authentic Mexican restaurants in the deep south and SW. I'd look for really dive-y looking places with lots of pickup trucks (and some nice cars) in the parking lots. When a waitress asked what heat salsa I wanted with my chips, etc, I'd insist on getting the hottest salsa that the kitchen staff was eating. Usually had good meals.

6. Aug 28, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

étouffée looks good, but i bet they wont have it on the menu.

7. Aug 28, 2008 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I wonder what "American" would be? I can understand "Cajun" but that's pretty much limited to one small state, actually the gulf shore of that state. Maybe barbecue? Tex-Mex? New England boiled dinners? I think hamburgers and hotdogs are the only food eaten across the entire country.

8. Aug 28, 2008 #7
    That's funny.

9. Aug 28, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

It will probably be shallow imitation, i am told they do serve a wide variety of dishes, i just hope it is quality food.

10. Aug 28, 2008 #9
    American...quality...food? Those words don't go together my friend.

11. Aug 28, 2008 #10
    My mother in law (who is from Colombia) calls food from the United States "Plastic Food".

12. Aug 28, 2008 #11
    There is certainly alot of good american cuisine. Those of us in America just take it for granted. Or we think of american fast food which is crap for the most part.

I heard about a reality television show that follows Snoop Dogg around and a trip he took to Germany. Apparently his wife was home sick and couldn't find any sort of food she was used to so he went looking for fried chicken. Well he couldn't find any and thought that was rather strange. So he looked around and collected all of the ingredients and made her fried chicken himself. He brought it to a festival they were attending and unvieled it there. And apparently all the germans were looking wondering what sort of odd cuisine this was.

So something as simple as friend chicken might be rather exotic to someone even from another western country. There are alot of southern dishs. Grits, fried oakra (I hate it myself, slimey, but you brits are used to weird food. ;-p), american BBQ, ect. Cajun is great stuff. I haven't had much Cajun cuisine aside from red beans and rice and jambalaya. I had gumbo once with alligator in it. That was interesting. Over there mexican food may be lumped in with american food. Its good stuff too. I have it all the time since its quite common around here so I don't normally think of it as anything special.

13. Aug 28, 2008 #12
    It's hard to say, but a good maryland crabcake always is good in my book.

14. Aug 29, 2008 #13
    I went to Roskos Chicken & Waffles for the first time a couple months ago. I had heard so many people say that they love that place and was rather disappointed. The chicken wasn't anything special, just regular old fried chicken. The only seasoning I tasted was salt. Not that it was overly salty but that was all there was to taste, maybe a bit of pepper. I didn't get waffles. I got their chicken with red beans and rice. Admittedly the only red beans and rice I have ever had was out of a Zatarain's box but even that was ten times more flavourful than what they served me. It was just beans seasoned with salt and maybe a bit of pepper over plain white rice.

I think I could have settled for KFC at half the price and without the wait.

Oh and the cornbread was actually pretty moist but again really bland.
    Cornbread is another american thing (or american indian) and can be really good if its made well but also really bad. Its a hit or miss type thing in most restaurants.

15. Aug 29, 2008 #14
    "Chinese" (Indonesian) is fine with a extensive Indonesian Rijsttafel (rice table), Nasi Goreng, Satay, Egg rolls, sambals, babi pangang, etc. Actually it's more Dutch tradition than contemporary Indonesian.

16. Aug 29, 2008 #15

wolram

Gold Member

So long as it is not pancakes i still remember my American breakfast, a 6 inch stack of pancakes swamped in maple syrup and topped with fruit, i could not eat another thing all day.

17. Aug 29, 2008 #16

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Indian. Yum.

18. Aug 29, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

I'm not sure what American-themed food would be. Earlier this morning, I had a stir-fry made with jalapeno chilies, summer squash, onions, garlic, and sweet sausage on a bed of curried rice. Surely not something that you'd find on a menu in a roadside diner...

19. Aug 29, 2008 #18

wolram

Gold Member

No only your house Turbo :smile:

20. Aug 29, 2008 #19
    Deep Southern Soul Food (fatback required), Low Country Boil, Maine Lobster, Fried Oyster PoBoys, Brunswick Stew, Pulled Pork, Home-cooked tenderloin steaks, buttered soughdough toast, salt mackeral and eggs, Brandy Alexanders (with real ice cream), avacado and butter, King Crab legs and butter, grits and butter, pineapple hush puppies and butter, frog legs and butter, buttermilk, buttercups and butter.

All those things are good.

21. Aug 29, 2008 #20

wolram

Gold Member

Can you have them without butter?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?