Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dino Ressurection

1. Feb 14, 2005 #1
    Could we determine the genetic structure of a dinosaur and recreat it in a new living cell by:
    1)Comparing the chemical compostion of reptiles and brid bones to the chemical compostion to there DNA and creat a ratio that gives us an idea on what ration paterns in chemical comp to look fpr in dinosaur fossils
    2)Then take the DNA from a nucleus of any cell(probly best would be a stem cell) and rearange it to creat the the same DNA structure of a dinosaur?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2005 #2
    I don't know about that; but if we knew what genes it takes to make certain features then yes we could change the cell to where it would develop into a dinosaur species. I can see no reason why this couldn't be possible in several centuries or sooner. But I doubt the Crichton method would really work. DNA breaks down and unless you have super knowledge of genetics then you can't put it back together again. If one has super knowledge of genetics then you don't need old broken dino DNA; just put together new chromosomes from scratch from the four base pairs. With this level of biomanipulation you could make anything really. Creatures far more weird than dinosaurs.

4. Feb 15, 2005 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

DNA of dinosaurs is damaged, so there would be large gaps of information. You suggest filling in the gaps with bird and reptile genetic information.. a better method is to determine the genetic sequence of many similar dinosaurs and see if you can make one single complete sequence. I'm not sure what the actual integrity is of the DNA, but I think it is very poorly conserved.

5. Feb 15, 2005 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Is there any extant reptile that would actually be able to lay a dino egg? Where would you house the embryo?

6. Feb 15, 2005 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the (near) future it might be possible to raise an embryo outside of a body. You just need a place to which the placenta can attach and extract nutrients.

7. Feb 15, 2005 #6
    Like those uterine tanks you see in Sci-fi movies. No reason they can't work; and you could make them huge for some GE created animal the size of a blue whale when it's still a baby.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?