Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dinosaur watching

1. Dec 25, 2005 #1
    I'm watching this Discovery channel show about dinosaurs and all of them are growling and squeeking and honking and barking and they are being called reptiles. Aren't reptiles pretty quiet for the most part?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2005 #2
    Reptiles, some of them, can hiss, but that's about it. The ones around here get your attention by banging pots and pans together.
  4. Dec 25, 2005 #3
    I thought dinosaurs weren't reptiles? Or maybe I'm talking nonsense? I really need a nap.
  5. Dec 25, 2005 #4
    I think dinosaurs are closer to amphbians then reptiles
  6. Dec 25, 2005 #5
    The show wasn't about dinosaurs but the proto-reptiles that preceeded and evolved into dinosaurs (and also later reptiles, I'm sure).
  7. Dec 26, 2005 #6
    After that show the Discovery Channel switched the subject to early man. For the past hour it's been a bunch of people in makeup acting out some idiot's speculation about how religion might have gotten started, how everything might have gotten started for that matter. The people who direct these shows always think that early man was some kind of loudmouth, hyperexitable, clumsy lout, who pronounces every word slowly and tentatively as if it's the first time they've ever pronounced it. This is their way of indicating these people were dumber than us.

They wouldn't have survived if they were like that. They were most assuredly quiet, softspoken, and physically agile.
  8. Dec 26, 2005 #7
    well, the otherwise option will lead to bad rating, so most likely they will make some noises
  9. Dec 26, 2005 #8

Like if all the space scenes in Star Wars were silent.
  10. Dec 26, 2005 #9
    Then they'd have to replace the actors with mimes.
  11. Dec 28, 2005 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Crocodiles hum.
  12. Dec 28, 2005 #11
    don't know the words?
  13. Dec 28, 2005 #12

Staff: Mentor

Some have kazoos.
  14. Dec 29, 2005 #13
    No Harmonicas? Oh right... lips...
  15. Dec 29, 2005 #14
    I used to have a harmonica. I could pick out tunes, slowly and poorly, but I have no idea how good harmonica players do it. I think good harmonica players are as talented as any symphonic musician.
  16. Dec 29, 2005 #15

Science Advisor

Yes the crocodilians as a group are rather vocal. Certain gecko species can also vocalize, especially the Tokay gecko, Gekko gecko. Listen at this link.
    But for the best cold-blooded callers, check out these frog calls.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  17. Dec 29, 2005 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I was watching those same two shows. The first one was pretty interesting, but I have to agree, the second one seemed pretty ridiculous. I find it hard to imagine that their ramblings about beauty, spirituality, and art were anything more than anthropocentric speculation.
  18. Dec 29, 2005 #17
    That's what really bothered me. It was clearly speculation, but they presented it as fact, as if someone had scientifically determined all the scenarios were what actually happened. I was also bothered by the fact they didn't ever seem to distinguish between archaic homo sapiens and sapiens sapiens. It gave the false impression that modern man goes much farther back than he does.
  19. Dec 29, 2005 #18
    They claimed that humans did not have religion until a girl who was sick groaned at the same time an animal died. Thus making them think some sort of reincarnation took place.
    I thought that was a bit too much of a stretch to actually claim as fact.
  20. Dec 29, 2005 #19

Staff: Mentor

No, you've got to be kidding. I am so glad I missed that, I stopped watching the dinosaur show because the poor things were being killed. :frown:
  21. Dec 29, 2005 #20
    It was actually worse than tribdog described. A mother and daughter were struck by lightning. The mother was killed and the daughter knocked unconscious. Nearby was some sort of eland sort of animal. Since it was just sort of standing there, some of the men speared it. Just as it dies the little girl came to. One idiot, the first shaman, apparently, decided that the life that had left the animal had gone into the girl and restored her. He skinned the animal and laid the skin on the mother, hoping to restore her as well, but it didn't work. Still though, the practise of trying to control the forces of nature through magic had begun.

The main trouble was that instead of saying "Here's the sort of coincidence that might have given people the idea of spirits/magic, they just presented the whole thing as if it'd been recorded as fact on a stone carving, or something.

They asserted without qualification that the Neanderthals had lost to the Cro-Magnons in competition for food and shelter, and had thus died out, when that is just one train of speculation on the matter. It's pretty absurd to say we know anything about Neanderthals. They've only found the remains of 80 individuals and those span something like 130,000 years.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?