Is D'Inverno's Equation (11.38) Correctly Integrated?

• Thread starter TerryW
  • Start date
In summary, D'Inverno introduces Einstein's Relativity by providing an equation and discussing how to integrate it using differentiation of a product. However, he uses an alternate method of integrating the equation by taking one term over to the other side.
TerryW
Gold Member
The attached file contains part of page 151 from D'Inverno's Introducing Einstein's Relativity. Beneath the shaded equation (11.38) he continues with 'Integrating the first two terms in (11.37) by parts, we get...' ...equation (11.39). This doesn't look right to me because the original equation has one term on the left hand side and three terms on the right hand side but in the resultant equation, two of the terms (the LG on the LHS and the LG barred on the RHS) have not been integrated. How can you get away with integrating only part of an equation??

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
I've had another look at this and worked out what is going on.
Basically, integration by parts is not being used at all. He is using the differentiation of a product.
(gab[tex]\Gamma[/tex]abc),c gives two terms and (gab[tex]\Gamma[/tex]cbc),a gives another two terms. A bit of index manipulation on two of the six terms in the two equations produces Qa,a and a bit more manipulation produces the LG and the L[tex]\bar{}[/tex]G leaving two terms -gab,c[tex]\Gamma[/tex]cab + gab,b [tex]\Gamma[/tex]cac. These can then be organised into (11.39) as given.

Sorry about the Latex rendition. A couple of terms don't appear as they should but I can't see where the Latex is wrong!

TerryW said:
I've had another look at this and worked out what is going on.
Basically, integration by parts is not being used at all. He is using the differentiation of a product.
(gab[tex]\Gamma[/tex]abc),c gives two terms and (gab[tex]\Gamma[/tex]cbc),a gives another two terms. A bit of index manipulation on two of the six terms in the two equations produces Qa,a and a bit more manipulation produces the LG and the L[tex]\bar{}[/tex]G leaving two terms -gab,c[tex]\Gamma[/tex]cab + gab,b [tex]\Gamma[/tex]cac. These can then be organised into (11.39) as given.

Sorry about the Latex rendition. A couple of terms don't appear as they should but I can't see where the Latex is wrong!

You got it just right! I think D'inverno thought of "integration by parts" simply as separating terms into two parts. Indeed, he applies the Leibniz rule to the two first terms and then rearrange terms in such a way that (11.39) gets produced!

AB

I worked from d'Inverno and came across the same thing. I think if you revisit the regular integration by parts you will see that it is just the dervitative of a product but done in reverse.

Well, not quite! You have to take one term over to the other side of the equation to get the mantra "First times the integral of the second minus the integral of the differential of the first times the integral of the second" - I still remember that after 45 years!

What is the premise of "D'Inverno - another query"?

"D'Inverno - another query" is a speculative fiction novel that takes place in a future world where humans have colonized Mars and developed advanced technology to travel between planets.

Who is the main character in "D'Inverno - another query"?

The main character is Dr. Sophia D'Inverno, a brilliant scientist who is tasked with solving a mysterious anomaly on Mars that threatens the survival of the human colony.

What are some major themes explored in "D'Inverno - another query"?

Some major themes in the novel include the consequences of human colonization and exploitation of other planets, the ethics of scientific research and experimentation, and the impact of technology on human relationships and society.

Is "D'Inverno - another query" based on any scientific theories or concepts?

Yes, the novel draws inspiration from real scientific concepts such as terraforming, artificial intelligence, and space travel. However, it also incorporates fictional elements to create a unique and thought-provoking story.

Are there any sequels or spin-offs planned for "D'Inverno - another query"?

As of now, there are no plans for a sequel or spin-off. However, the author has not ruled out the possibility of expanding the story in the future.