• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Diode ac and dc resistance?

• Thread starter rclakmal
  • Start date
Diode ac and dc resistance??????

here is my question ................saturation current of a silicon diode is 2uA.and forward current is 20mA...i want to find out the AC and DC resistances of the diode in 300k.....

so i know that ,

I(forward)=I(saturate)[exp(eV/nKT)-1]

..so by differentiating both sides w.r.t to V i got that dI/dV=I(forward)*e/nkt........here KT/e=26mv so by subbing than (and also n=1 when conducting through diode)i got dV/dI=1.3ohms .......
so that is Ac resistance of the diode ............
but i dont know how to find the DC resistance of the diode can anyone help me out

Answers and Replies

madmike159
Gold Member

Are you sure that differentiation is right? doesn't look correct.

i think its correct .......what i have done is after differentiation i have subb i(forward) to the term I(saturation)*exp(ev/nKT).....and im sure of that because i have done it before ..........but i dont know how to calculate DC resistance ...DC(resistance)=V/I .......am i correct ...........but i dont how to get a value for that ................

madmike159
Gold Member

Yea sorry its correct. I thought doing that gave DC resistance not AC. Also do you know the foward voltage.

No i dont ,,,,,,,,,but after referring to some of my books i got some idea ......though i dont have the forward voltage i might be able to calculate it using forward and reverse currents by subbing them in the above equation then can get forward voltage ............

so i think DC(resistance)=V(forward)/I(forward)............

can someone check this answer for me ....................here i forward is 20mA i saturated is 2uA and temp is 300k.............i got the answer as R(dc)=11.9 ohms ........am i correct ????????please someone check and tell me because in the MCQ question there is no such answer ..............:(

madmike159
Gold Member

I'll ask my teacher. That sounds a bit high though.

can someone check this answer for me ....................here i forward is 20mA i saturated is 2uA and temp is 300k.............i got the answer as R(dc)=11.9 ohms ........am i correct ????????please someone check and tell me because in the MCQ question there is no such answer ..............:(
I calculated 11.97 ohms which agrees well enough with your answer.

Thnaks dude !!!!!!!!!!it was a great help!!