Calculating AC and DC Resistance of a Silicon Diode in 300K

In summary, the diode has a saturation current of 2uA and a forward current of 20mA. The diode's AC resistance is 1.3ohms. The diode's DC resistance is 11.9ohms.
rclakmal
Diode ac and dc resistance?

here is my question ...saturation current of a silicon diode is 2uA.and forward current is 20mA...i want to find out the AC and DC resistances of the diode in 300k...

so i know that ,

I(forward)=I(saturate)[exp(eV/nKT)-1]

..so by differentiating both sides w.r.t to V i got that dI/dV=I(forward)*e/nkt...here KT/e=26mv so by subbing than (and also n=1 when conducting through diode)i got dV/dI=1.3ohms ...
so that is Ac resistance of the diode ...
but i don't know how to find the DC resistance of the diode can anyone help me out

Physics news on Phys.org

Are you sure that differentiation is right? doesn't look correct.

i think its correct ...what i have done is after differentiation i have subb i(forward) to the term I(saturation)*exp(ev/nKT)...and I am sure of that because i have done it before ...but i don't know how to calculate DC resistance ...DC(resistance)=V/I ...am i correct ...but i don't how to get a value for that ...

Yea sorry its correct. I thought doing that gave DC resistance not AC. Also do you know the foward voltage.

No i don't ,,,,,,,,,but after referring to some of my books i got some idea ...though i don't have the forward voltage i might be able to calculate it using forward and reverse currents by subbing them in the above equation then can get forward voltage ...

so i think DC(resistance)=V(forward)/I(forward)...

can someone check this answer for me ......here i forward is 20mA i saturated is 2uA and temp is 300k....i got the answer as R(dc)=11.9 ohms ...am i correct ?please someone check and tell me because in the MCQ question there is no such answer .....:(

I'll ask my teacher. That sounds a bit high though.

rclakmal said:
can someone check this answer for me ......here i forward is 20mA i saturated is 2uA and temp is 300k....i got the answer as R(dc)=11.9 ohms ...am i correct ?please someone check and tell me because in the MCQ question there is no such answer .....:(

I calculated 11.97 ohms which agrees well enough with your answer.

Thnaks dude !it was a great help!

1. What is the difference between AC and DC resistance in a diode?

The AC resistance of a diode is the resistance measured when alternating current is applied, while the DC resistance is measured when direct current is applied. The AC resistance is typically lower than the DC resistance due to the diode's ability to conduct current in both directions.

2. How does the temperature affect the resistance of a diode?

The resistance of a diode decreases as the temperature increases. This is because the movement of electrons increases with temperature, making it easier for current to flow through the diode.

3. What is the forward resistance of a diode?

The forward resistance of a diode is the resistance measured when current is flowing through the diode in the forward direction. It is typically lower than the reverse resistance, which is measured when current is applied in the reverse direction.

4. How do I calculate the resistance of a diode?

The resistance of a diode can be calculated using Ohm's law: R = V/I, where R is the resistance in ohms, V is the voltage across the diode, and I is the current flowing through the diode. However, the resistance of a diode is highly non-linear and can vary greatly depending on the voltage applied.

5. Can the resistance of a diode be changed?

The resistance of a diode is an intrinsic property and cannot be changed. However, the resistance can be controlled by varying the voltage applied to the diode. This is why diodes are often used in circuits to regulate or control the flow of current.