1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diode ac and dc resistance?

1. May 13, 2009 #1
    Diode ac and dc resistance??????

here is my question ................saturation current of a silicon diode is 2uA.and forward current is 20mA...i want to find out the AC and DC resistances of the diode in 300k.....

so i know that ,

I(forward)=I(saturate)[exp(eV/nKT)-1]

..so by differentiating both sides w.r.t to V i got that dI/dV=I(forward)*e/nkt........here KT/e=26mv so by subbing than (and also n=1 when conducting through diode)i got dV/dI=1.3ohms .......
    so that is Ac resistance of the diode ............
    but i dont know how to find the DC resistance of the diode can anyone help me out

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2009 #2

madmike159

Gold Member

Re: Diode ac and dc resistance??????

Are you sure that differentiation is right? doesn't look correct.

4. May 13, 2009 #3

i think its correct .......what i have done is after differentiation i have subb i(forward) to the term I(saturation)*exp(ev/nKT).....and im sure of that because i have done it before ..........but i dont know how to calculate DC resistance ...DC(resistance)=V/I .......am i correct ...........but i dont how to get a value for that ................

5. May 14, 2009 #4

madmike159

Gold Member

Yea sorry its correct. I thought doing that gave DC resistance not AC. Also do you know the foward voltage.

6. May 14, 2009 #5

No i dont ,,,,,,,,,but after referring to some of my books i got some idea ......though i dont have the forward voltage i might be able to calculate it using forward and reverse currents by subbing them in the above equation then can get forward voltage ............

so i think DC(resistance)=V(forward)/I(forward)............

7. May 14, 2009 #6

can someone check this answer for me ....................here i forward is 20mA i saturated is 2uA and temp is 300k.............i got the answer as R(dc)=11.9 ohms ........am i correct ????????please someone check and tell me because in the MCQ question there is no such answer ..............:(

8. May 14, 2009 #7

madmike159

Gold Member

I'll ask my teacher. That sounds a bit high though.

9. May 16, 2009 #8

I calculated 11.97 ohms which agrees well enough with your answer.

10. May 16, 2009 #9

Thnaks dude !!!!!!!!!!it was a great help!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook