1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diode and c.r.o. question

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1
    i have to draw the c.r.o. display for a diode, is it just the same as for an a.c. input but with the parts that were below the x-axis, intead reflected in the x-axis?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2005 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't quite follow you.. Are you supplying AC to a diode (and hopefully a load resistor) and looking at the time varying characteristics of voltage on a scope? Or are you interested in the voltage versus current charateristics of the diode which can be measured with a curve tracer? (See second to last row for diode examples)

4. Nov 8, 2005 #3
    i assume that i have a circuit with a diode in it, connected to a c.r.o., and i have to draw the voltage/time shape that it would produce. e.g. for mains ac you would get a sinusoidal wave form - that's the kind of setting i'm on.

5. Nov 8, 2005 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is a c.r.o. ?

6. Nov 8, 2005 #5

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The signal will be clipped on one side, this is actually when the diode is conducting - it's resistance is low. In the attachment the zero voltage level is the dotted line.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  7. Nov 8, 2005 #6

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

c.r.o. - cathode ray oscilloscope

andrevdh that's right, only one half of the cycle would be displayed, the other half is clipped. (though on yours, it appears, there was a negative dc bias applied as well).
    QueenFisher, can you guess what a diode in this configuration, is also called?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  8. Nov 9, 2005 #7

andrevdh

Homework Helper

What I am try to indicate is that the diode needs a bit of bias (depending on the type of diode) before it starts to conduct. It does not conduct straight away.

9. Nov 9, 2005 #8

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why is it a negative DC bias? What are some example magnitudes for turn-on voltage of a diode (Ge, Si, PIN) ?

10. Nov 14, 2005 #9

andrevdh

Homework Helper

It just depends on which way round you connect the diode or the oscilloscope in the circuit. I could just as well have drawn the mirror image of the diagram. The forward voltage drop is usually of the order of 1 volt (0.6 for silicon diodes).

11. Nov 14, 2005 #10
    yeah it depends really

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?