Diode Circuit Analysis

In summary, the discussion revolved around solving a circuit and the proper method for modeling diodes. One person suggested removing all the diodes and calculating the potential across R6, while another suggested using a more realistic model for the diodes. The importance of considering the R6 resistor and the method of replacing conducting diodes with a voltage source was also discussed. Overall, the main focus was on finding the correct approach to solving the circuit.
Drao92
Hello everyone.
Can you tell me if i solve right this circuit?
D2 is on off mode so I2 is approximately 0,D1 is the same and D3 is on ON mode so the equivalent circuit is like AFTER.
Is it ok what i did?
http://postimage.org/image/mblq1dr7n/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you model the diodes with a "typical" 0.7V turn-on potential, then you might want to begin by removing all the diodes and calculating the potential across R6. Will there be enough potential "across the rails" to turn on any of the diodes?

If a more realistic model for the diodes is to be used, then D3 is the only one that has the possibility of conducting (and it can pass a very small current prior to the "agreed" turn-on threshold).

E is 10 V in the real circuit, that values are only the default values put by the software. So if E was 1V ( big chance of not opening one diode) i use the after circuit, i change the D3 diode with a wire and i calculate the voltage across R10 or R11, parallel - same voltage? Or i have to use the initial circuit, change every diode with a wire and i calculate every node potential then i check if the D3 diode opens?
Thanks very much for the answer. One of my friend tried to solve the circuit and he didnt took in consiederation the R6 (R11) resistor so i was a bit confused.

Drao92 said:
E is 10 V in the real circuit, that values are only the default values put by the software. So if E was 1V ( big chance of not opening one diode) i use the after circuit, i change the D3 diode with a wire and i calculate the voltage across R10 or R11, parallel - same voltage? Or i have to use the initial circuit, change every diode with a wire and i calculate every node potential then i check if the D3 diode opens?
Thanks very much for the answer. One of my friend tried to solve the circuit and he didnt took in consiederation the R6 (R11) resistor so i was a bit confused.

You would be better off removing all the diodes first and finding the various potentials to see what diodes might conduct. Add back the diodes that might conduct one at a time and recalculate as you go. Remember that a conducting diode still drops its turn-on voltage across it, so don't just replace conducting diodes with a "wire". A better choice (for analysis) is to replace them with a voltage source equal to the turn-on potential.

I would suggest that it would be helpful to provide more information about the specific circuit you are analyzing, such as the components and their values, as well as the desired outcome. This will allow for a more accurate evaluation of your solution. However, based on the information provided, it appears that your analysis is correct. The diodes D2 and D1 are in the off mode, so the current through them is approximately 0. D3 is in the on mode, so the equivalent circuit would be as shown in the image. Without further information, it is difficult to determine if this is the desired outcome or if there are any other factors that need to be considered in the analysis.

1. What is a diode?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It typically consists of a p-n junction, where one side is doped with a material that has an excess of electrons (n-type) and the other side is doped with a material that has a deficit of electrons (p-type).

2. What is a diode circuit analysis?

Diode circuit analysis is the process of analyzing the behavior and characteristics of a circuit containing diodes. This involves understanding how diodes affect the flow of current, voltage, and power in a circuit and using mathematical equations and models to predict their behavior.

3. What are the key parameters of a diode?

The key parameters of a diode include its forward voltage drop, reverse breakdown voltage, reverse leakage current, and capacitance. These parameters determine how the diode will behave in a circuit and are essential for accurate analysis.

4. How do you analyze a diode circuit?

To analyze a diode circuit, you must first determine the operating conditions (forward or reverse bias) and then use Kirchhoff's laws and the diode's characteristic equations to solve for the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. This can be done manually or with the help of simulation software.

5. What are some common applications of diode circuit analysis?

Diode circuit analysis is used in a wide range of electronic devices and systems, including power supplies, solar panels, LED lighting, and communication systems. It is also important in the design and optimization of electronic circuits for various applications.