Solve Diode Circuit Problem: Homework Equations & Attempt at Solution

In summary, when one of the diodes is "off", the voltage drop across it is 0 and the current through it is 0. This confirms your assumption that the rightmost diode is "off".
dashkin111

Homework Statement

See attachment

Homework Equations

We are to assume the voltage drop across diodes is .7v (don't use the diode equation!).

The Attempt at a Solution

I first was assuming that both diodes were "on". Then my work is as follows:

V1 is the voltage directly above diode D1 (the left most diode)...
[tex]I+ \frac{V_{1}-.7-(-5)}{5k\Omega}=\frac{5-V_{1}}{10k\Omega}[/tex]

[tex]I+ \frac{.7-.7+5}{5k\Omega}=\frac{5-.7}{10k\Omega}[/tex]

[tex]I=-.57mA[/tex]

Now since I is negative, one of my assumptions is wrong? So now I assume the rightmost one is "off" (D2).So.. then
Solving for I
[tex]I = \frac{5-.7}{10k\Omega}[/tex]

[tex]I = .43 mA[/tex]

Solving for V
Well.. since there's no current, v=-5?
Am I approaching this correctly?

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dashkin111 said:
So now I assume the rightmost one is "off" (D2).

So.. then
Solving for I
[tex]I = \frac{5-.7}{10k\Omega}[/tex]

[tex]I = .43 mA[/tex]

Solving for V
Well.. since there's no current, v=-5?

Am I approaching this correctly?
You're on your way. In this second case, what would be the value of V1? Does this agree with your assumption?

Your approach is correct. However, there are a few things that can be improved upon.

Firstly, when you assume that both diodes are "on", you should also assume that the voltage drop across each diode is 0.7V. This will make your calculations easier and more accurate.

Secondly, when you assume that the rightmost diode is "off", you should also assume that the voltage drop across it is 0V. This will also make your calculations easier and more accurate.

Finally, when solving for the voltage and current, it is always good practice to check your answers. In this case, you can check by calculating the total current going into the circuit and making sure it equals the total current coming out of the circuit. This will help catch any mistakes in your calculations.

Overall, your approach is good and you have solved the problem correctly. Just remember to make those assumptions and double check your answers in the future.

What is a diode circuit?

A diode circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses diodes, which are semiconductor devices that allow current to flow in one direction only. Diode circuits are commonly used in electronic devices to regulate voltage and current, as well as to convert AC to DC power.

What are the basic equations used to solve diode circuit problems?

The basic equations used to solve diode circuit problems are Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's voltage law, and diode equations such as the Shockley diode equation. These equations are used to calculate the voltage and current in a diode circuit.

How do I approach solving a diode circuit problem?

To solve a diode circuit problem, you should first analyze the circuit to identify the type of diode and its orientation, as well as any other components such as resistors or capacitors. Then, you can use the aforementioned equations to calculate the voltage and current in the circuit. It may also be helpful to redraw the circuit in a simpler form to better understand its behavior.

What are the common mistakes made when solving diode circuit problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving diode circuit problems include forgetting to consider the diode's forward voltage drop, assuming the diode is ideal and has no resistance, and neglecting the effects of temperature on the diode. It is important to carefully consider all factors and assumptions when solving these types of problems.

Are there any tips for solving diode circuit problems?

One tip for solving diode circuit problems is to always double-check your calculations and assumptions. It can also be helpful to break the circuit into smaller parts and solve them separately, then combine the results to find the overall solution. Additionally, practicing with different types of diode circuits can improve your problem-solving skills.