Confirming Diode Current Flow in Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses whether there is any current flowing through the diode in a given circuit. The speaker initially believed there was none, but wanted to confirm due to the lack of current in other questions. The diode also appeared suspicious due to the lowest potential in the circuit being the lower cable. It is mentioned that the cathode is biased positively with respect to the anode, and the possibility of obtaining data on the diode's reverse breakdown voltage is brought up. Ultimately, it is concluded that there is no current flowing through the diode.
nrshakya
Is there any current flow through the diode in this circuit (attached) ?

My initial answer was that there was none but then again I just wanted to confirm because all the other questions don't have any current flowing through them either. Looked fishy/

Attachments

• circ.png
    circ.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
The lower cable has the lowest potential in the circuit, there is no way how current could flow through the diode in this setup.

nrshakya said:
Is there any current flow through the diode in this circuit (attached) ?

My initial answer was that there was none but then again I just wanted to confirm because all the other questions don't have any current flowing through them either. Looked fishy/

No current. The cathode is biase + with resect to the anode, right?

Has any data for the diode been provided? For example an IV curve that might tell you what the reverse breakdown voltage is?

Based on the circuit diagram provided, it appears that there is no current flow through the diode. This is because the diode is connected in the reverse bias configuration, meaning that the positive terminal of the battery is connected to the cathode (negative end) of the diode and the negative terminal of the battery is connected to the anode (positive end) of the diode. In this configuration, the diode acts as an open switch and does not allow current to flow through it. Therefore, it is safe to confirm that there is no current flow through the diode in this circuit. However, it is always important to double check and confirm any findings in scientific experiments.

1. How do I confirm diode current flow in a circuit?

To confirm diode current flow in a circuit, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage drop across the diode. Place the red probe on the anode and the black probe on the cathode of the diode and observe the reading. A forward biased diode should have a voltage drop of around 0.7V. If the voltage drop is close to 0, the diode is not conducting and if it is close to the input voltage, the diode may be damaged.

2. What if the diode is connected in reverse polarity?

If the diode is connected in reverse polarity, it will not conduct and there will be no diode current flow in the circuit. The voltage drop across the diode will be close to the input voltage, indicating a damaged or faulty diode.

3. Can I use an LED as a diode in a circuit?

Yes, an LED (light-emitting diode) can be used as a diode in a circuit as it also has a PN junction and exhibits similar properties as a regular diode. However, it is important to note that the voltage drop across an LED is typically higher than a regular diode, and it is designed to emit light when it is forward biased.

4. How can I tell if the diode is damaged or faulty?

If the diode is damaged or faulty, it may not conduct current in the forward direction or may have a very low resistance in the reverse direction. You can use a multimeter to test the diode by placing the red probe on the anode and the black probe on the cathode. If the diode is functioning properly, it should have a high resistance in the reverse direction and a low resistance in the forward direction.

5. Is it necessary to test diode current flow in a circuit?

Yes, it is important to test diode current flow in a circuit to ensure that the diode is functioning properly and the correct polarity is being maintained. A faulty or damaged diode can cause issues in the circuit and may lead to malfunction or damage to other components.