Constructing a Circuit to Limit Voltage of 20V Peak-to-Peak Sine Wave

In summary, you need a circuit that will limit the positive half of a 20V peak-to-peak sine wave to 5.6V and the negative half to -2.5V.
laminatedevildoll
How do I construct a circuit that will limit the positive half of a 20V peak-to-peak sine wave to 5.6V and the negative half to -2.5V?

So far, I have a 1 k ohm resistor and the diode is forward biased leading to VL and Vout.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What voltage rails do you have available? Is the resulting waveform supposed to be a scaled version of the input waveform, or just clipped on top and bottom to the voltages you mention? Can it be scaled and clipped, or is it not supposed to be scaled before clipping? What are the input characteristics of whatever you are feeding your output waveform into?

For instance, I attempted to draw the diode clipper circuit which gives out a 5V instead. The input graph is suppposed to be a sine wave and the output is supposed to be a cut off at the top of the wave.

I am not sure if it is supposed to be scaled or not, but I am thinking no.

Attachments

• diode.JPG
    diode.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 458
laminatedevildoll said:
For instance, I attempted to draw the diode clipper circuit which gives out a 5V instead. The input graph is suppposed to be a sine wave and the output is supposed to be a cut off at the top of the wave.
I am not sure if it is supposed to be scaled or not, but I am thinking no.
That looks right for the positive side clipper. BTW, the usual convention is to draw the positive rails at the upper side of the schematic, and the negative rails at the bottom part of the schematic. So in your sketch, draw the positive catch diode pointing up, with its cathode connected to +5V at the top of the page.

Now you just need the negative clipper. That's why I asked about what voltage rails you can assume that you have. Clamping at 5.6V is pretty straightforward, since that's just about a diode drop above a 5V rail. But clamping at -2.5V is a little weird, since having a -1.9V rail to clamp to would be pretty non-standard. You can make a diode clamp of any voltage drop with a transistor and two resistors, so maybe that's what they are looking for.

What is a peak-to-peak sine wave?

A peak-to-peak sine wave refers to the difference between the highest and lowest points on a sine wave. It is measured from the peak of the wave to the trough of the wave.

Why is it important to limit the voltage of a circuit?

Limiting the voltage of a circuit is important for safety reasons. High voltages can be dangerous and can damage electronic components. By limiting the voltage, we can prevent accidents and protect our equipment.

What is the purpose of constructing a circuit to limit voltage?

The purpose of constructing a circuit to limit voltage is to ensure that the output voltage does not exceed a certain threshold. This is particularly useful when working with sensitive electronic devices that may be damaged by high voltages.

What components are needed to construct a circuit to limit voltage of 20V peak-to-peak sine wave?

The circuit will require a voltage regulator, a resistor, and a capacitor. The voltage regulator will control the output voltage, while the resistor and capacitor will work together to smooth out the signal and limit the peak-to-peak voltage.

Can this circuit be used for other types of waves besides a sine wave?

Yes, this circuit can be used for other types of waves as well. However, it may need to be adjusted depending on the shape and frequency of the wave. It is always important to test and adjust the circuit for each specific application.