Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diode configurations

Tags:
  1. Mar 30, 2016 #1
    2 diodes connected back to back ....and 2 anti-parallel diodes....are these 2 configurations same...i mean work similarly?....i think NO....rectify me please if wrong......it might be a silly question but i would really appreciate the answer

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

So that whichever way current tries to flow, there will always be one diode which blocks the current? Draw it and try it.

4. Mar 30, 2016 #3
    in back to back connected diodes...current will never flow...right?

5. Mar 30, 2016 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that is so.

Yet there may be times when you do see a pair of diodes ("Zener diodes") connected exactly like that: back-to-back. What is this about?

6. Mar 30, 2016 #5
    Sir,i have seen that in double sided clipping circuits..so that output is between (Vz.+Vk) and - (Vz.+Vk)..actually my question arose from there

7. Mar 30, 2016 #6
    Careful..never?....zener back to back make a voltage regulator
    Rectifier diodes are sold back to back as a high frequency smps rectifer using the center point as the AC location, and signal diodes are connected back to back as a decision point (probably not the right term) but I see them all the time.
    The latter two are 3 terminal circuits, so without context, the question could be misleading.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted