Calculating Current and Voltage in a Diode Circuit

In summary, the circuit has a diode and a resistor. The diode is forward biased and the resistor is used to calculate the current.
sudec

Homework Statement

I have the following circuit:
[PLAIN]http://elementdesign.sk/dioda.jpg

I would need to calculate the current and voltage through the diode.

I now that I can calculate the current by the following formula:

[tex]I=I_{0}(e^{U/U_{0}}-1)[/tex]

I know that [tex]I_{0}=10^{-17}[/tex] and [tex]U_{0}=20mV[/tex]

I have been looking for another formula to calculate the current and the voltage through the diode, but I was not able to find anything.

Could anyone please help me out here how to get the I and U for the diode.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You would have to get that data from the manufacturer's data sheets. These are available on Internet by using Google to search. Diodes usually have a number on them to identify the exact type of diode. Something like "1N4148" would identify this diode.

If the diode was Silicon and it was forward biased, the voltage across it would be about 0.6 Volts to 1 Volt, depending on the current.

You can subtract this voltage from the supply voltage to get the voltage across the 13 ohm resistor. Hence you can calculate the current flowing in the resistor and in the diode since they are in series.

If the diode was a LED, the voltage across it will be much higher. LEDs have voltage drops of 1.2 to 4.0 volts mostly depending on their color. The procedure is the same, though.

Because you have a fairly high supply voltage, the error due to not knowing the diode voltage exactly is not very high. Much the same current will flow, regardless.

vk6kro said:
You would have to get that data from the manufacturer's data sheets. These are available on Internet by using Google to search. Diodes usually have a number on them to identify the exact type of diode. Something like "1N4148" would identify this diode.

If the diode was Silicon and it was forward biased, the voltage across it would be about 0.6 Volts to 1 Volt, depending on the current.

You can subtract this voltage from the supply voltage to get the voltage across the 13 ohm resistor. Hence you can calculate the current flowing in the resistor and in the diode since they are in series.

If the diode was a LED, the voltage across it will be much higher. LEDs have voltage drops of 1.2 to 4.0 volts mostly depending on their color. The procedure is the same, though.

Because you have a fairly high supply voltage, the error due to not knowing the diode voltage exactly is not very high. Much the same current will flow, regardless.
uhh, i think this problem comes from a small intro on the topic and isn't for a lab project or anything.

just write the KVL:

[tex]V_S = I_D R + V_D[/tex]
where Vs is the voltage source. You can substitute the equation for diode voltage to solve for diode current. I believe you will end up with a transcendental equation, so you'll need to use an iterative method or a solver to find the answer.

It's valid to assume the diode is on with a 32V source hooked up to it like that (unless otherwise noted, diodes turn on ~.6V)

1. What is a diode and how does it work?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It consists of a p-n junction, where one side is doped with a material that has an excess of free electrons (n-type) and the other side is doped with a material that has a lack of free electrons (p-type). When a voltage is applied in the forward direction, the diode allows current to flow through, but when the voltage is applied in the reverse direction, the diode blocks the flow of current.

2. How do you calculate the current in a diode circuit?

The current in a diode circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) equals voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). In a diode circuit, the resistance is the forward voltage drop of the diode (Vf), so the formula for current is I = V/R, where R = Vf.

3. How do you calculate the voltage drop across a diode?

The voltage drop across a diode can be calculated using the Shockley diode equation, which takes into account the diode's forward voltage drop (Vf), the diode's ideality factor (n), and the diode's reverse saturation current (Is). The equation is Vf = (n * k * T/q) * ln(I/Is + 1), where k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and q is the elementary charge.

4. What is the maximum reverse voltage a diode can handle?

The maximum reverse voltage that a diode can handle is known as its reverse breakdown voltage (Vbr). This is the voltage at which the diode's reverse current sharply increases, potentially causing damage to the diode. The reverse breakdown voltage varies depending on the type of diode and can be found in the diode's datasheet.

5. How does temperature affect the current and voltage in a diode circuit?

Temperature can affect the current and voltage in a diode circuit in several ways. As temperature increases, the forward voltage drop of the diode decreases, leading to an increase in current. However, as temperature increases, the reverse saturation current of the diode also increases, causing a decrease in the reverse breakdown voltage. This can potentially lead to damage in the diode if the reverse voltage exceeds the new lower breakdown voltage at higher temperatures. The temperature coefficient of the diode, which varies depending on the type of diode, can also affect the voltage drop and current in a diode circuit as temperature changes.