1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diode in parrallel

1. Jun 4, 2008 #1
    What would happen if u had a circuit that was earthed at a point and it had an EMF of lets say 9V. If i had 1 resistor and immediately after that i had a resistor and diode in parallel, would any current enter the resistor. My understand is that it wouldnt since once the diode opens up, it effectively acts as a conductor of 0 resistance. With this being the base, does all the current pass into the diode?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2008 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your understanding is correct (the diode must be oriented in the correct manner, of course).

Keep in mind that we're talking "ideal" conditions. A diode is considered to have zero resistance in one direction and infinite resistance in the other. But in reality, nothing has truly zero, nor infinite resistance.

There would be a tiny current that goes through the resistor in parallel with the diode, but it is mostly insignificant. So you are "correct enough" for basic problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?