1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diode Output Voltage

1. Jun 28, 2009 #1
    The link provided shows two cases of reverse bias Diodes. From my understanding a reverse bias diode is supposed to block the voltage from reaching the output. So from the following picture wouldn't both of the outputs be 0v. I know that the answers in the diagram are correct because I did them in class, but I don't understand why the voltage across the output on the second picture is - 4.3 volts. I understand the voltage drop across the diode is .7 and the output of a circuit with a forward bias diode would be source-.7 ,but I just don't understand this.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5602/reversebias.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

In the diagram with the AC source, the diode is not always reverse biased, right?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jun 28, 2009 #3
    I think you're right, because the current flows in both directions does that make the output negative if its in the reverse bias position? If so what's the reasoning for this?

5. Jun 28, 2009 #4

berkeman

When the AC source voltage swings negative, that forward biases the diode for VAC < -0.7V.

Write the equation for the output voltage as a function of time for the AC source, and figure out where the forward and reverse bias regions are for the diode. That will leave some voltage on the resistor.

However, this problem is a bit too simplified. There will only be -4.3V on the output resistor load at what point in the AC source waveform drive?

6. Jun 29, 2009 #5
    I see, when the source switches to negative the diode becomes forward bias. The .7 volts across the diode becomes negative because of the negative source, and -5 volts peak - .7 volts peak = -4.3v across the resistor.

Is this correct?

7. Jun 29, 2009 #6

berkeman

Very good. And you see that is only true at the peak negative excursion of the AC supply, right? So plot the voltage across the resistor as a function of time, versus the output of the AC source. That will help to cement the concepts in your mind.

8. Jun 29, 2009 #7
    Yes, I understand that now. I hope to see you on some of my future posts, because I will definitely have more!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook