Diode Polarity: Anode, Cathode, Forward Bias

In summary, diode polarity refers to the connection of an anode to the positive terminal and a cathode to the negative terminal of a diode. If this connection is made, then the diode will work in the Forward Bias region.
Usama Khurram
What is meant by diode polarity. If we do connect anode to positive and cathode to negative then its means it works on Forward Bias mode. I think positive means higher potential than negative, in other words, if positive terminal which is Anode is to be at 5 volts and negative terminal which is Cathode will have to at 2 volts then Diode will work in Forward bias region.? Please explain if I'm right understanding of this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Usama Khurram said:
buddy, i can search it through internet but i know i can't find whatever i needed. so please reply me

so is there something specific on any of those 2 links that you don't understand in how it may answer your original question ?

Usama Khurram said:
What is meant by diode polarity. If we do connect anode to positive and cathode to negative then its means it works on Forward Bias mode. I think positive means higher potential than negative, in other words, if positive terminal which is Anode is to be at 5 volts and negative terminal which is Cathode will have to at 2 volts then Diode will work in Forward bias region.? Please explain if I'm right understanding of this.
Hi Usame. You have it right. All the diode itself sees at its terminals is the potential difference there.

But with 3V across the diode and no current limiting, the diode current will be very high (remember, it's an exponential relationship). If it is a low power diode it will instantly burn out. A big power diode constructed like a bolt so it can be mounted on a heatsick, will be capable of withstanding 3V in forward conduction. It has some ohmic resistance and this will help limit the current.
Good luck with your studies! http://thumbnails111.imagebam.com/37333/4d0696373324852.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a diode?

A diode is a two-terminal electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It is typically made of a semiconductor material and is used in various electrical and electronic circuits.

What is the polarity of a diode?

A diode has two terminals: the anode and the cathode. The anode is the positive terminal, while the cathode is the negative terminal. The polarity of a diode is important because it determines the direction of current flow through the diode.

What is the function of the anode and cathode in a diode?

The anode of a diode is responsible for collecting current from an external source and allowing it to flow through the diode. The cathode, on the other hand, receives the current from the anode and allows it to flow out of the diode.

What is forward bias in a diode?

Forward bias is a state in which the anode of a diode is connected to the positive terminal of a power source, and the cathode is connected to the negative terminal. This allows current to flow through the diode and is the normal operating state for most diodes.

What happens if a diode is reverse biased?

Reverse bias is a state in which the anode of a diode is connected to the negative terminal of a power source, and the cathode is connected to the positive terminal. This creates a high resistance barrier and prevents current from flowing through the diode. This is an important characteristic of diodes and is used in many electronic circuits.