1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diode Problem

1. Jun 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What will be the voltage v(t) across diode D1 ?

2. Relevant equations

The Figure is shown in the attachment.

3. The attempt at a solution

When there is a positive cycle D2 will be open circuit and capacitor 1 will be charged and diode D1 will be short circuited ,while in negative cycle the capacitor 2 will be charged D2 will be short circuited and D1 will be open so all the voltage across Capacitor 2 will be shown against D2 i guess but i am confused with waveform !

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2012 #2
    lazy,

Determine what the diode is doing during every quarter cycle of the wave. Don't forget that capacitors accumulate voltage.

Ratch

4. Jun 21, 2012 #3
    What i am able to understand is that 1 st half is a clamper circuit and second half is peak rectifier circuit but i am confused about the waveform , for clamping waveform will be shifted to negative axis but what will happen for "peak rectifier" ? what is the exact mechanism of peak rectifier ?

I am considering each capacitor and diode to be ideal !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook