Diode Voltage Across D1: Solving for v(t) in Positive and Negative Cycles

• Thread starter lazyaditya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the conversation discusses the voltage v(t) across diode D1 in a circuit with capacitors and diodes. During the positive cycle, D2 will be open and capacitor 1 will be charged while D1 will be short circuited. In the negative cycle, capacitor 2 will be charged and D2 will be short circuited, leaving D1 open. The waveform for the clamping circuit will shift to the negative axis, but there is confusion about the waveform for the peak rectifier circuit and the mechanism behind it. The conversation also mentions that each capacitor and diode is considered to be ideal.
lazyaditya

Homework Statement

What will be the voltage v(t) across diode D1 ?

Homework Equations

The Figure is shown in the attachment.

The Attempt at a Solution

When there is a positive cycle D2 will be open circuit and capacitor 1 will be charged and diode D1 will be short circuited ,while in negative cycle the capacitor 2 will be charged D2 will be short circuited and D1 will be open so all the voltage across Capacitor 2 will be shown against D2 i guess but i am confused with waveform !

Attachments

• 19062012.jpg
    19062012.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
lazy,

Determine what the diode is doing during every quarter cycle of the wave. Don't forget that capacitors accumulate voltage.

Ratch

What i am able to understand is that 1 st half is a clamper circuit and second half is peak rectifier circuit but i am confused about the waveform , for clamping waveform will be shifted to negative axis but what will happen for "peak rectifier" ? what is the exact mechanism of peak rectifier ?

I am considering each capacitor and diode to be ideal !

1. What is a diode?

A diode is an electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It is made up of a semiconductor material and has two terminals, an anode and a cathode.

2. How does a diode behave in a circuit?

In a circuit, a diode will have a forward bias when the anode is at a higher voltage than the cathode, allowing current to flow through it. It will have a reverse bias when the cathode is at a higher voltage, blocking current flow.

3. What is the purpose of solving for v(t) in positive and negative cycles?

Solving for v(t) in positive and negative cycles allows us to understand the behavior of a diode in a circuit and determine its voltage across the diode in both directions. This is important in analyzing and designing electronic circuits.

4. How do you solve for v(t) in positive and negative cycles?

To solve for v(t) in positive and negative cycles, we use the diode equation, which takes into account the voltage drop across the diode and the current flowing through it. We also consider the direction of current flow and whether the diode is in forward or reverse bias.

5. What factors affect the diode voltage across D1?

The diode voltage across D1 is affected by the current flowing through it, the direction of current flow, and the biasing of the diode (forward or reverse). It is also affected by the characteristics of the diode, such as its forward voltage drop and reverse breakdown voltage.